Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages cannot create new documents

I am using IPad Pro Model MXDE2LL/A running iOS 13.7 and I am unable to create a blank document on iCloud or locally.

Using iPad storage error:

“Blank” couldn’t be moved because you don’t have permission to access “Documents’”. You don’t have permission.

Using iCloud storage error:

The operation couldn’t be completed. Operation not permitted.

I would appreciate your help

thank you

Penelope

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 2:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2020 1:25 PM

Dear SnickZ,

Thank you for the information. It was helpful but I had already done what you suggested.

I just solved the problem in a somewhat unorthodox way: I created a blank document on iCloud from my iPhone which I accessed on my iPad. After that I am able to create new documents on my iPad without any issue. It could also be that my iPad shutdown (run out of battery) before I tried to create a new document after the one created on my iPhone.... Either way everything is working fine now. I would to point that I was always been able to create Numbers and Keynote documents without any issue. It was only the Pages that I had trouble and that is the reason I decided to post a “help” note to the community.

Thank you again

Best regards

Penelope

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2020 1:25 PM in response to SnickZ.

Dear SnickZ,

Thank you for the information. It was helpful but I had already done what you suggested.

I just solved the problem in a somewhat unorthodox way: I created a blank document on iCloud from my iPhone which I accessed on my iPad. After that I am able to create new documents on my iPad without any issue. It could also be that my iPad shutdown (run out of battery) before I tried to create a new document after the one created on my iPhone.... Either way everything is working fine now. I would to point that I was always been able to create Numbers and Keynote documents without any issue. It was only the Pages that I had trouble and that is the reason I decided to post a “help” note to the community.

Thank you again

Best regards

Penelope

Oct 9, 2020 11:39 AM in response to penelope1909

Greetings, Penelope.

It appears that you're having a problem saving a blank document to iCloud or locally on your iPad Pro. You receive a message on your iPad that you don't have permission to access "Documents". When saving it to iCloud, you receive a similar message.

Create your first document in Pages on iPad - Apple Support -- You should be able to just tap the plus sign, select a blank document, "Done" then the arrow pointing left to save a blank document on your iPad.

Use iCloud Drive with Pages on iPad - Apple Support -- To save Pages to iCloud Drive, make sure that everything has been set up correctly. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud and make sure that iCloud Drive is on. Then scroll down to Pages on the same screen and turn that on as well. If you want to store the document locally, turn Pages off under iCloud Drive.

If this doesn't help with the problem, please provide your workflow.

Let us know how that goes.

Take care.

Pages cannot create new documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.