Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I rotate a video in Photos on Mac and have the edited video replace the old version in Photos?

Sorry for the long title question, but that is the question I have! :)

Basically, I'm a newbie with using Macs and having some issues with rotating videos in Photos. Rather, I am able to rotate the video by using "edit with QuickTime" but I want to have the rotated video replace the un-rotated video in my Photos library but not sure how to do that. There is no "save" option (it's grayed out in the drop down menu in QT) and so I think I need to export, but not sure where to save it.

I can't find a way to export the rotated video into the library; the best I could do was to save the rotated video in the same folder that my Photos library file is, but that doesn't put it into Photos. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

p.s. I'm using a 2020 iMac with most recent version of Catalina.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 4:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 5:47 AM

You may want to wait for the release of the next system version macOS Big Sur, coming this fall.

It is bringing better video editing options to Photos. After the upgrade you will be able to use the same editing tools for your videos as for photos, right in Photos, see: macOS Big Sur Preview - Features - Apple

Expanded video editing capabilities
Adjustments, filters, and cropping are now supported for video editing so you can rotate, increase exposure, or even apply filters to your videos.

Currently, you have to save the rotated video in a folder on your Mac, then delete the original version in Photos and import the edited version back to photos, then fix the date and the location.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2020 5:47 AM in response to chancroid

You may want to wait for the release of the next system version macOS Big Sur, coming this fall.

It is bringing better video editing options to Photos. After the upgrade you will be able to use the same editing tools for your videos as for photos, right in Photos, see: macOS Big Sur Preview - Features - Apple

Expanded video editing capabilities
Adjustments, filters, and cropping are now supported for video editing so you can rotate, increase exposure, or even apply filters to your videos.

Currently, you have to save the rotated video in a folder on your Mac, then delete the original version in Photos and import the edited version back to photos, then fix the date and the location.

How can I rotate a video in Photos on Mac and have the edited video replace the old version in Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.