Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 14.0.1 Battery draining too fast, phone becomes extremely hot and earpiece issue

Prior on installing the iOS 14 update, the phone was working fine, like totally fine, no issues whatsoever. Updated to iOS 14 immediately when it became available, phone was still working fine. Updated to iOS 14.0.1 immediately when it became available, it was fine for a few days until today. While casually browsing facebook, the phone suddenly starts freezing randomly and then later it started to become extremely hot to the point that I cannot hold it anymore. I tried closing all the running apps (which is only facebook btw because I always close apps after using it) and then waited a little while for it to try and cool down but it won't cool down, the phone battery was currently 64% when the issue occurred. I open the battery usage in settings and the top one was the Widgets which consumed 52% of the battery. I then proceeded to turn the phone off for like a minute or 2 then turn it back on again to see if it cools down. To no luck, after turning it on, it did cooldown a little bit but not totally cool but it started heating up again to the point I cannot bear the heat. I put it down on my laptop's fan cooler, navigate to battery usage and then the top one now is the Maps which consumed 24% of the battery. Also, before I turned the phone off the battery was 64%, after turning it on, it became 10%. Also, during a call the earpiece of the phone somewhat have an extremely low volume, I can't hear properly the other person's voice, I have to switch to speaker mode to be able to hear the other person clearly. I checked that it is not muted, tried maximizing and minimizing the volume, tried turning off and on the phone noise cancellation, tried turning off completely the phone noise cancellation, tried turning off completely the phone noise cancellation and turning on the hearing aid option (I just saw this on a tutorial video), I did all of those and still the volume when using the earpiece is still so low that I cannot hear the other person properly. This all happened suddenly today, the version is iOS 14.0.1. Until now, the phone is still heating up. I charged it up to 40% only because I am afraid that it will become too hot and damage the phone.

I already contacted Apple Support via twitter and sent an email to their support. While charging the phone up to 40%, i put it on top of my laptop's cooler so that it won't heat up so much but i stopped at 40% because it was becoming extremely hot and I was afraid.

Please reply below if you're having the same as me as well. I hope I describe well what happened today. I also hope an update to fix these issues are on the way because based on my experience, this is an issue with iOS 14.0.1 or iOS 14 in general, everything was okay and fine before I upgraded to iOS 14.0.1 and everything is also fine before I upgraded to iOS 14.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 4:22 PM

My iPhone 11 Pro did not turn on since October 5 because of the heating issue. It drained the battery even if the phone was turned off. The battery died after I turned it off and let it cool down (it is still hot btw). When it finally cooled down, it will not turn on. I brought it to an apple authorized service provider last October 9. I got an update from them on October 12 and they said they cannot fix it and will ship it to their main branch in the capital because they have more equipment than they do but they said it will most likely be a whole unit replacement with no charge whatsoever because it is still under warranty. So thanks Apple I guess for the free of charge replacement? Even though they just ruined their own device with their own iOS 14 update? Anyways, the replacement might take up to 2 months, so I'll just wait.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2020 4:22 PM in response to JeexPoy

My iPhone 11 Pro did not turn on since October 5 because of the heating issue. It drained the battery even if the phone was turned off. The battery died after I turned it off and let it cool down (it is still hot btw). When it finally cooled down, it will not turn on. I brought it to an apple authorized service provider last October 9. I got an update from them on October 12 and they said they cannot fix it and will ship it to their main branch in the capital because they have more equipment than they do but they said it will most likely be a whole unit replacement with no charge whatsoever because it is still under warranty. So thanks Apple I guess for the free of charge replacement? Even though they just ruined their own device with their own iOS 14 update? Anyways, the replacement might take up to 2 months, so I'll just wait.

iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 14.0.1 Battery draining too fast, phone becomes extremely hot and earpiece issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.