Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location of microphone on iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 and gen2

Hi! Do not reply without reading the following!

I found the "manual" and that is just 2 pages. It is compliance info and nothing more.

I found the "user's guide" for iOS 11 (released with iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 and gen2). This book is 613 pages. Pages 3-4 have a nice diagram with many items labeled but not the mic. The word "microphone" appears on pages 193 and 573 but neither of those explain where the mic is, or show any diagram.

I found the "identify your iPad" page at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201471. This page shows the iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 and gen2 and says they have TWO mics, but this page DOES NOT explain *where* the two mics are located, and the link for "technical information" also DOES NOT explain *where* the two mics are located. It simply states (again) that it has TWO mics.

There are hundreds of people asking this same question on reddit and other sites and several replies have been given, but they *do not agree*. There is confusion among those people regarding where the microphone(s) actually are.

Physically looking at my iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 and gen2, I can see some holes in various places, at least 3 on each unit. So I don't know if those are microphones or not. I have done some experiments by doing "voice memo" recordings and speaking into various locations on the iPad and discovered that the microphones appear to be near the top of the unit, but exactly where?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 6:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 3:04 PM

6 replies

Oct 14, 2020 2:55 PM in response to RetroPianist

Hey there RetroPianist,

We see that you are seeking guidance with discovering the location of the microphones for the 12.9" iPad Pro (1st & 2nd generation) models. We would love to provide guidance to you for this.

On these particular models of iPad Pro, this page shows where the microphones are located in the "Buttons and Connectors” section: iPad Pro - Technical Specifications - Apple

Hope this information helps you out.

Take care!

Oct 15, 2020 12:28 PM in response to LotusPilot

The diagram shows THREE microphone locations (for a total of 5 microphones). But the iPad Pro 12.9 Gen1 and Gen2 only have TWO microphones per these pages:

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp723?locale=en_US

https://support.apple.com/kb/sp723?locale=en_US

So here is my question: Which of the THREE microphone locations in the diagram is actually correct for my iPads? Only TWO can be correct (per above links). Or -- are you saying the iPad Pro 12.9 Gen1 and Gen2 actually have THREE microphones? If so, why do the KB articles above state that they only have TWO?

Oct 14, 2020 6:32 PM in response to deondria51

Thanks for that link, that is great for the newest generation with 5 microphones! The image clearly shows 5 microphones and therefore only applies to the newest generation. My question was about 1st and 2nd generation! These models only have 2 microphones -- so that's what I am having so much trouble finding -- I need a diagram like the one you showed -- but for 1st and 2nd generation iPad Pro 12.9. Thanks.

Location of microphone on iPad Pro 12.9" gen1 and gen2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.