Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

accountsd

It's running at 400% + of CPU

Catalina 10.15.7

Already done:

1. Replaced logic board, battery, keyboard (Sept 30, 2020) at apple retail
  2. Reset SMC
  3. Reset NVRAM

I'm typing this on Chrome because Safari just hangs.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 4, 2020 10:38 PM

10 replies

Oct 6, 2020 4:25 AM in response to Yyaapl

So this is basically how I made my laptop useable again (not fixed, but operable)

1. Talked to apple support via chat, they advised to my create a new admin user, and login to appleid on that account, and then log out of appleid on that account, and then delete the other admin user
  2. Unplugging the power cable causes the fans to power down significantly
  3. Once laptop has became usable, don't shut it down, just close the lid and open the lid (I'm worried a complete shut down will reboot the whole accountsd process)

I fully expect AAPL to release a patch update for this (hopefully soon)

This is the second day, accounts at 0%-15%, and I'm typing this on Safari.

Oct 5, 2020 12:28 AM in response to Yyaapl

I have the exact same problem since Catalina 10.15.7. Did not have it in 10.15.6.

The workaround is to log out of your Apple ID. Go to System Preferences -> Apple ID -> Overview -> Sign Out...

Hopefully Apple can fix this soon in a patch for Catalina, or the upcoming Big Sur.

As you said it makes Safari, Finder and Spotlight completely unusable due to hangs.

Oct 5, 2020 2:12 AM in response to scanflight

further information, it appears that the domain com.apple.accounts does not allow access:

CallHistoryPluginHelper "Error returned from daemon: Error Domain=com.apple.accounts Code=9"

erreur

accountsd "Client <private> is not allowed to access accounts of type <private>."

panne

accountsd Unentitled access by client 'CallHistoryPlugi' (selector: accountsWithAccountType:handler:)

erreur

CallHistoryPluginHelper "Error returned from daemon: Error Domain=com.apple.accounts Code=9"

Oct 5, 2020 7:22 AM in response to Admiral_Schley

As an intermediate solution, we can try this in the terminal.

It ends the process on "accountsd", delete MobileMeAccounts, makes a backup of the "Accounts" library and then ends with a reboot. You will also have to reconnect to iCloud but it worked for me

sudo -v ; killall -9 accountsd com.apple.iCloudHelper ; defaults delete MobileMeAccounts ;

mkdir ~/Library/Accounts/Backup; mv ~/Library/Accounts/*.sqlite* ~/Library/Accounts/Backup/ ;

killall -9 accountsd com.apple.iCloudHelper ; sudo reboot

Oct 7, 2020 11:34 AM in response to Yyaapl

I had the same problem and there was no way, I had tried almost everything and, after thinking about it a lot, as it was a synchronization problem with iCloud, I realized that the IOS 14.0.1 update had recently come out, and I had updated the iPhone, but not the iPad. I have updated it and, for now, in a few days I have not had a problem again. I hope it can serve you.

accountsd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.