Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Vertical Text in Keynote Disappointment

I am a teacher and I use Keynote to create my grading rosters. I am so disappointed that I am not able to enter the assignment description vertically in Keynote like I am in Excel. Why does Mac not provide this capability? Quite frankly, it is a big pain in the keester to have to add a 90 degree text box in every cell for this task! I love Mac, but this one's a frustrating mystery.

Posted on Oct 5, 2020 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2020 3:25 PM

Excel is a spreadsheet, and Keynote is a presentation tool. Different application purposes. Apple's applications are neither clones of their Microsoft counterparts, nor is Apple attempting to put familiar Microsoft features in its applications.

In Keynote, you can insert a Textbox, enter your text in two different orientations, and from the Arrange panel, set the rotation to any degree you choose in single degree increments:

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2020 3:25 PM in response to PamelainArizona

Excel is a spreadsheet, and Keynote is a presentation tool. Different application purposes. Apple's applications are neither clones of their Microsoft counterparts, nor is Apple attempting to put familiar Microsoft features in its applications.

In Keynote, you can insert a Textbox, enter your text in two different orientations, and from the Arrange panel, set the rotation to any degree you choose in single degree increments:

Oct 6, 2020 5:36 AM in response to PamelainArizona

PamelainArizona wrote:

I am a teacher and I use Keynote to create my grading rosters. I am so disappointed that I am not able to enter the assignment description vertically in Keynote like I am in Excel. Why does Mac not provide this capability?

Have you tried using Numbers for this purpose, not Keynote?

Still have the same vertical text problem (can do it in a Text Box but not in a cell the way you can in Excel) but in general Numbers should be better suited for the task.

Recommend going to Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback in your menu and explaining that vertical text is important to your work. (Many of us would like to see that.)

SG

Vertical Text in Keynote Disappointment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.