Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch activity will not update shared contacts data unless connected to Wi-Fi

Hi all, odd one this. If my iPhone XS Max is connected to wifi I have no issues, all works as expected. The problem occurs when the phone is using 4G/Mobile Data.

I noticed it first with the Activity sharing on the Apple Watch, neither the phone app or the watch update any of my shared data or any notifications of workouts/goals etc. this also applies to workouts I've done that would notify others, so send and receive is failing.

A prime example would be this, I closed all three rings in the gym around 17:30, I got home onto wifi around 18;30 and a someone replied to the activity notification just after my phone connected to wifi, so it looks like the notification sent when I arrived home. (Possible delay in the responder taking that time but knowing them they are instant with watch replies to the notification)

I've tried all the usual settings for mobile data etc, rebooted phone/watch and even reset the watch but still no joy.

Any ideas?

Posted on Oct 5, 2020 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2020 3:34 PM

Update - I seem to have fixed the issue on my watch (I have the non-cellular, just GPS)!

I spoke to a man in the Apple shop who asked if I restored from a back-up when I set up my new watch - which I had done. He said the only thing he could think of was that there was some sort of bug in the backup which was causing the shared activity to not work.

He suggested unpairing my watch and then setting up as a new watch, rather than restoring from a back up.

This seems to have fixed the problem for me and the shared activity is now updating and I’m getting the notifications again!

All my awards have remained, as well as the people I share activity with - he explained this information is saved to your phone not the watch, so when you set up as new this info will still be there - which it all is!

By setting up as a new watch you’ll loose any watch faces you have currently saved, and other small personalisations that you had previously. Also you’ll have to re-add any cards you had saved in your Apple wallet on your watch! I was prepared to redo all that if it fixed the issue as it was really frustrating me!

Seems to have worked so hope it does if anyone else tries too!

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2020 3:34 PM in response to Randy-12

Update - I seem to have fixed the issue on my watch (I have the non-cellular, just GPS)!

I spoke to a man in the Apple shop who asked if I restored from a back-up when I set up my new watch - which I had done. He said the only thing he could think of was that there was some sort of bug in the backup which was causing the shared activity to not work.

He suggested unpairing my watch and then setting up as a new watch, rather than restoring from a back up.

This seems to have fixed the problem for me and the shared activity is now updating and I’m getting the notifications again!

All my awards have remained, as well as the people I share activity with - he explained this information is saved to your phone not the watch, so when you set up as new this info will still be there - which it all is!

By setting up as a new watch you’ll loose any watch faces you have currently saved, and other small personalisations that you had previously. Also you’ll have to re-add any cards you had saved in your Apple wallet on your watch! I was prepared to redo all that if it fixed the issue as it was really frustrating me!

Seems to have worked so hope it does if anyone else tries too!

Oct 24, 2020 2:50 PM in response to Gman.

I’m having the exact same issue with the Apple Watch series 6 and iPhone 11 Pro Max.

I spoke to someone via Apple support, and apparently an engineer said that this feature is only available using WiFi. Someone was meant to call me today to discuss and try and fix the problem but no call!!

I’ve had an Apple Watch for over 4 years, and have friends who have them currently too. I know it only working via WiFi isn’t correct as I’ve never had this issue before! Only since the update.

My friend’s watches seem to be absolutely fine. When I went for a walk with those who have them, they all got the notifications for each other as soon as we finished the activity (none of them have a cellular watch). Only they didn’t get mine and I didn’t get any of theirs until I was connected to WiFi.

I too have tried everything including erasing my watch and re-pairing and nothing seems to work! Very frustrating as it always used to work perfectly!

Oct 26, 2020 11:31 AM in response to Gman.

Same thing with me. I have iPhone X and Apple watch series 4. Both were working absolutely fine until Watch OS 7 and IOS 14.

I have unpaired the watch, reset both phone and watch & then re paired it - still only get workout notifications and friends activity updates when connected to wifi.

It is not the hardware, it has only been since OS updates!!

Apple Watch activity will not update shared contacts data unless connected to Wi-Fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.