Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain password and location tracking for stalking

Hi I believe my ex was using my iphone to track my location. I had woken up in middle of night to find him with my phone in his hand. For reasons I won’t get into I believe after we broke up he was tracking my location to stalk me. I do not ever recall setting up a keychain passcode either and I don’t know how to access it. Any opinions or advice on how to get data for who logged in via IP address and where location tracking data is or how to change my keychain? Thanks

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Oct 5, 2020 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2020 3:19 PM

One does not need access to your iCloud Keychain in order to find you as they can simply use the Find My app and track you from there.

Two ways this could've been potentially done:

• He illegally gain entry into your device through the passcode, send a request to his device to share your location. He will accept the invite from his device.
  • He send a request to your device to share your location with him. He illegally gain entry to your device and accept the invite he sent.

Therefore, I believe your iCloud Keychain is still safe and untouched as that only serves as a repository for logins and passwords. With that being said, you may wish to check your Find My app and see who you're sharing your location with and revoke all access.

You may also wish to change your passcode to your device, and change it to a longer passcode (more than 4-digits) if you haven't already done so.

As an added measure, you could change your Apple ID password to something very complex (letters, symbols,) and enable two-factor authentication if not already enabled -- If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2020 3:19 PM in response to Crimesofindifference

One does not need access to your iCloud Keychain in order to find you as they can simply use the Find My app and track you from there.

Two ways this could've been potentially done:

• He illegally gain entry into your device through the passcode, send a request to his device to share your location. He will accept the invite from his device.
  • He send a request to your device to share your location with him. He illegally gain entry to your device and accept the invite he sent.

Therefore, I believe your iCloud Keychain is still safe and untouched as that only serves as a repository for logins and passwords. With that being said, you may wish to check your Find My app and see who you're sharing your location with and revoke all access.

You may also wish to change your passcode to your device, and change it to a longer passcode (more than 4-digits) if you haven't already done so.

As an added measure, you could change your Apple ID password to something very complex (letters, symbols,) and enable two-factor authentication if not already enabled -- If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support.

Keychain password and location tracking for stalking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.