Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I copy an iMovie project to a flash drive?

Can I copy an iMovie project to a flash drive? And if I can, how do I do it? I am using the latest OS X.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 5, 2020 4:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2020 6:20 PM

Hi, 2942,

You can copy a shared out movie to an external drive.

However, you cannot directly copy an editable iMovie project independently to a flash drive, or any other drive. iMovie projects must reside in an iMovie library. To copy a project to another drive you must copy the library that contains it and edit/paste (or option drag) the library into the external drive. The drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in order to store an iMovie library on it, or you could lose data. You can create a new blank library for the purpose of storing the one project, and then move or copy that library to the external drive. In order to plug the external drive into another Mac, and open the library and play the project, the other Mac must be running the exact same version of iMovie that created the project.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2020 6:20 PM in response to 2942

Hi, 2942,

You can copy a shared out movie to an external drive.

However, you cannot directly copy an editable iMovie project independently to a flash drive, or any other drive. iMovie projects must reside in an iMovie library. To copy a project to another drive you must copy the library that contains it and edit/paste (or option drag) the library into the external drive. The drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in order to store an iMovie library on it, or you could lose data. You can create a new blank library for the purpose of storing the one project, and then move or copy that library to the external drive. In order to plug the external drive into another Mac, and open the library and play the project, the other Mac must be running the exact same version of iMovie that created the project.

-- Rich

Can I copy an iMovie project to a flash drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.