Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move application to external drive takes larger space than in the Macbook?

I move some third party developers application to external drive, but it takes up 4x more space compare to remain on the Mac. Why this is happening and how do I fix it?

Posted on Oct 5, 2020 10:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 6:11 PM

Ok, I solved the problem.

Just need to format the external drive into Mac OS Extended(Journaled), GUID PARTITION MAP for newer PC, or Master Boot Record for older PC.

Then, Partition a portion of space for PC ExFAT that can be read and write for both Window and Mac OS Systems.

Application can be move into external drive. MAC OS doesn't care where you store the application. (Just like most computers)

They won't required more RAM to run nor security issues.

Thunderbolt cable and SSD drive are capable of running most application stored externally. Otherwise, it will be tedious and slow to open the application from external drive. Make sure write and read speed are within ideal range (400-500 MB/PS).

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2020 6:11 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Ok, I solved the problem.

Just need to format the external drive into Mac OS Extended(Journaled), GUID PARTITION MAP for newer PC, or Master Boot Record for older PC.

Then, Partition a portion of space for PC ExFAT that can be read and write for both Window and Mac OS Systems.

Application can be move into external drive. MAC OS doesn't care where you store the application. (Just like most computers)

They won't required more RAM to run nor security issues.

Thunderbolt cable and SSD drive are capable of running most application stored externally. Otherwise, it will be tedious and slow to open the application from external drive. Make sure write and read speed are within ideal range (400-500 MB/PS).

Oct 7, 2020 8:00 AM in response to jiajun32

Moving Applications to an external drive is a Bad Idea®.

They lose the protection of the severely locked /Applications folder.

They lose the ability to be used as their own paging files when running, which means they use MUCH more RAM and paging space. They will run slower.

And lastly, as you have seen, using drive with a different format takes more space.

Move your User files, not Applications. Applications belong on the Boot drive.

Oct 7, 2020 6:27 PM in response to jiajun32

<<They won't required more RAM to run nor security issues. >>

It is true that the storage needed to store the Application is no larger, but the issues I mentioned are much more complex than static storage.

Applications stored outside the /Applications folder require more space in RAM when running, for several reasons. When not protected in the /Applications folder, the system will not use the source file itself as an instant source for code pages. Instead, the entire Application needs to be copied into a temporary locked location to be run, sometimes called a "sandbox" file, and run from the (locked) Sandbox file instead of the original (easily re-writeable) application file.

The /Applications folder is locked, and MacOS allows no access to it without taking special care and requiring an Admin password to access it momentarily to place something new there. There is no such protection for applications stored outside the /Applications folder. Therefore, they may be more subject to attack by malware.

Move application to external drive takes larger space than in the Macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.