Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iOS files and system is taking up 2/3 of my MacBook Pro storage space.

My iOS files and system is taking up 2/3 of my storage space. Despite multiple optimisations of my regular files, I'm not able to free up space. Seems like a shame to move documents not even amounting to a single GB each, into an external hard drive. Does this mean I need a new macbook with more space?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 11, 2021 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2021 6:35 AM

Hi misha189,

iCloud Drive is not the same thing as iCloud Backups. If you delete the backups stored on your computer, it will not affect existing iOS backups stored in iCloud (using the iCloud Backups feature).

Also, iOS backups made on a computer don't get stored in iCloud.

3 replies

Sep 11, 2021 9:26 AM in response to misha189

Hi misha189,

iOS Files mostly refer to backups of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, stored directly on your Mac. You can free up space in this category by connecting the iOS device in question to your Mac, opening iTunes (since you're running macOS Mojave), and deleting some backups.

The System category in macOS Mojave includes both system files (which cannot be deleted, usually around 15 GB) and files that fall into the "Other" category. These files mostly consist of data that is directly saved inside certain apps (for example, local worlds saved inside Minecraft). To reduce storage taken up by this category, please see this user tip: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002781

My iOS files and system is taking up 2/3 of my MacBook Pro storage space.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.