Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why, is Other have to be so big? And what can be done about it?

My MacBookAir has 120Gb SSHD OSX Big Sur Apps 16.38Gb Documents 1.53Gb System 15.05Gb Other 80.86Gb. Why, does Other have to be so big? And what can be done about it?

I have paired down and down what I have on the hard drive to the minimum. Short of moving all my applications and documents to an external HD.

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 6, 2021 3:37 AM in response to neuroanatomist

Hi neuroanatomist,

Re read the article link you sent me yesterday, it was very useful, thank you!

Downloaded and use OmiDiskSweeper to find where the disk space had gone. Just three files from one application. If I delete the application will this get rid of the three files, namely, 0.aud, 1.aud, 2.aud? These three files account for 50.2Gb! The application is WavePad, however, it is not my intention to keep this application on my HD, as I use this very infrequently.

Just checked with CleanMyMac X in the uninstall applications and when I clicked next to WavePad the uninstalled value would 50.2Gb, which answers the question, I hope. I'll let you know...

Feb 6, 2021 4:07 AM in response to Idontbelieveit!

OK 50.2Gb removed from “Other” making it now 30.98Gb! My sanity is restored and so is my Mac!!

At least with OmiDiskSweeper I found the difficulty of hidden files. I did spot some other large files which I will look at too, but nowhere near as big as the three I have just got rid of along with the application as well.

Thank you for the link article, I could not have found the problem files without it. I would recommend OmiDiskSweeper, for finding those hidden large files. I would also recommend using CleanMyMac X for uninstalling applications that use up disk space in "Other" to truly get rid of what I call, problem working/temporary files like these.

Why, is Other have to be so big? And what can be done about it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.