Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloading installer information to the target volume failed

Good day everyone,

first things first. Here some specs of the patient.

Macbook Pro 13" , 2GHZ, 16GB RAM , 1TB Harddisk, purchased approximately 1 week ago, came with Catalina installed.

I know this problem , or similar, has been discussed before, however non of the suggested solutions worked for me and I`ll try to explain to my best ability what I have done so far.

This is my first Mac with a T2 chip (had I known before what I get into), and so I had no clue about its enhanced security features. I have setup several Macs before from scratch and sooner or later managed to get it done, but unfortunately it looks like I found my master with this fine piece of machinery.

So here it what has happend and what I have done so far.

Macbook fresh out of the box, started it up, configured it, including the exciting fingerprint setup.

Added one user account with password.

Shortly after decided to do a clean install. Entered the recovery mode, started disk utility as I wanted to create a partition on the SSD . Deleted Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD-Data volumes entirely, basically wiped the whole SSD clean. Then created the new APFS container and rebuild the original volume structure (pictures attached).

And here is where the problems started. I had created a bootable Catalina USB stick, in the believe, that I would be able to boot, just as I have done so many times before with other Macs, from this stick and do a complete new MacOS Catalina install.

Just to find myself of not being able to start from any other media than the Internet recovery.

Trying this option I am facing the error message ("Downloading installer information to the target volume failed") as you see in the title of this post. I do have a log of the failed install process and if anyone needs it or tells me what I have to look for I am happy to share. I simply cant post the entire log here as it exceeds the maximum amount of chracters.

Eventually figured out that with Apples fantastic T2 chips I need to manually allow the boot option for any external drive through the Startup Security Utility. OK, tried this just to be confronted with the problem that there has been no administrator found. So I cant change the boot settings either. Great! Picture attached. Also, I am not able to select any startup disk. Selection is empty. Picture attached.

Doing some more research I feel it all has to do with Apples new Chip and what it stores. I also had the Mac already registered under my Apple-ID. After all this mess started, went into the Icloud portal and removed it from my device list hoping that this might change something. Unfortunately no.

Last but not least I even tried the restore BridgeOS with the "Problem Mac" in DFU mode and another Mac I own being the Host. It apparently did what its supposed to do wiping the SSD , but still I get the same error message while doing the Internet Recovery and still not being able to select an external boot drive. Also, no startup disks shown.

I pretty much ran out of options from my side, if anyone in the community has an idea/solution for this I would highly appreciate any reply. I attach a couple of pictures. Ah almost forgot, yes internet connection is working, tried the recovery via wifi and also with and ethernet connection. Same outcome as seen in the title.

Thanks to everyone taking the time to read all this and for your replies.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 1:46 PM

If your tried to "Restore" the T2 firmware and still have the problem, then your only option left is to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop which unfortunately will most likely require the replacement of the Logic Board unless they discover some other part with a hardware failure which is interfering.

https://support.apple.com/guide/apple-configurator-2/revive-or-restore-mac-firmware-apdebea5be51/mac

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2020 1:46 PM in response to Maverick_81

If your tried to "Restore" the T2 firmware and still have the problem, then your only option left is to have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop which unfortunately will most likely require the replacement of the Logic Board unless they discover some other part with a hardware failure which is interfering.

https://support.apple.com/guide/apple-configurator-2/revive-or-restore-mac-firmware-apdebea5be51/mac

Downloading installer information to the target volume failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.