Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to be able to drag files to particular backup drives without having to watch them slowly download from icloud. Do they not exist on my computer anymore?

When I updated my system last, it asked me if I wanted to use icloud as a backup. I hit yes, and I'm thankful to have that option.

However, now it's time to put finished projects on separate drives where I keep just those client's files. It appears to constantly be "downloading from icloud" before it lets me copy, which takes a huge amount of time.

Am I doing something wrong? Do my files not actually 'live' on my computer anymore, but only in icloud?

Maybe I need to be directed to some online learning to see what I'm not understanding.

Even if I could turn that downloading option off and just copy my files from my drive to my external drives, that would be wonderful.

Thanks.

—Kellie

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 10:07 AM

If you have the Optimize Storage option turned on, some of your files may be only in iCloud. See the information in Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support including the following:

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2020 10:07 AM in response to kfrissell

If you have the Optimize Storage option turned on, some of your files may be only in iCloud. See the information in Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support including the following:

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again.

Need to be able to drag files to particular backup drives without having to watch them slowly download from icloud. Do they not exist on my computer anymore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.