Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't upload a png file to iMovie

I updated my computer (Oct. 2020) and now I can't upload a png file to iMovie. Soooo frustrated. It's the exact same file I've used with iMovie before the update. I'm so annoyed. I don't like how they don't show the length of the clip anymore in the timeline. I really just need to get the PNG file imported.

PLEASE HELP!!!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 1:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 10:54 AM

Import issues can often be solved by deleting preferences. To do that open iMovie while holding down the Option and

Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you can import your PMG file.

Another thing that you can try is to import the PNG file into the Photos app and then see if you can access it in your iMovie project from the Photos item in the media sidebar.

-- Rich

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2020 10:54 AM in response to kittypaws

Import issues can often be solved by deleting preferences. To do that open iMovie while holding down the Option and

Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you can import your PMG file.

Another thing that you can try is to import the PNG file into the Photos app and then see if you can access it in your iMovie project from the Photos item in the media sidebar.

-- Rich

Oct 7, 2020 11:08 AM in response to Rich839

This worked! Yay! I also imported a new png file just to start fresh. Now I have a new issue. It's cutting off the circle. I select picture in picture and when it pops up to change the size, it's also cut off there. I will attach pics. Thank you for helping me. I'm not sure what has changed b/c I haven't had these issues before.

Oct 7, 2020 11:30 AM in response to kittypaws

First, try selecting the circle and do a Crop to Fit from the crop tool in the toolbar at the upper right hand side of your screen. See is that cures the cutting off.

If still no luck, then, since it is so easy to do, make a new circle.

Open with the Preview app any random photo on your desktop. Do a File//Duplicate. Then, with the duplicate, do an Edit/Select All, Edit/Delete. You will be left with a transparency screen. Then go to Tools/Annotate/Oval and make your circle. Then save and import into iMovie. Insert with the Picture in Picture feature as you usually do.

-- Rich

Oct 7, 2020 12:14 PM in response to kittypaws

When you deleted preferences you changed your iMovie preferences. One of those preferences is the Photo placement, whether Fit, Crop to Fill, or Ken Burns. For projects created in the future, you can reset your preferences to what they were before from iMovie/Preferences. You want to set it to Fit. You likely had it set to Fit before, but when you deleted preferences it got changed to Crop to Fill.

For projects already created, like yours, you would need to set to Fit manually from the crop tool options for a specific clip. That should fix the circle cut off issue.

-- Rich

Oct 7, 2020 10:32 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thank you for responding. I'm making a sports highlight video and have a red circle highlight circle png file. It's right from images and I've used it before b/c it's saved on my desktop. I've tried pulling it in and also using the import arrow to find it on my desktop. I can select the file, but the blue button that says import selected just doesn't do anything when I tap it. It just stays blue and the file doesn't show up in the iMovie. I don't know what to do. I haven't had any trouble with this before. Please help! I need to have this finished by Friday.

I can't upload a png file to iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.