Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I move the "Macintosh HD - Data" volume to another APFS formatted (SSD)disk?

I have a 500 GB Blade SSD (ss970EVO) and a (ss860EVO) 1 TB disk in my iMac (27"-2013), and I want to use the Blade SSD for the MAC OS and the 1 TB disk for user files and possibly apps. Besides this I want to use Bootcamp to Run Windows from the Blade SSD (WIN OS) and also the user files on the 1TB ssd.

My question is as follows;

Can I move the "Macintosh HD - Data" volume to the 1 TB SSD disk?

The end result on the Blade should be that I have a 250 GB volume (APFS) for Mac OS AND a 250GB (NTFS) volume for my Win 10 system.

The 1 TB disk will be divided as follows; 350GB MAC Data volume (ATFS); 350 GB WIN Data volume (NTFS) and a SHARE volume of 300GB (exFAT).

Now since I just upgraded from High Sierra, the splitting of the Mac OS is new to me and I need some help understanding it and possibly a solution of how to go about getting Bootcamp to select the right volume, and off course (if possible) how to move the "Macintosh HD - Data" volume. Right now I have it cloned in the 1TB SSD as a first step. Then I moved the location of my User home folder. This works fine.

Please Help,

Regards

Frank

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 6:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 11:04 AM

I am sure that someone else will be able to give you a more detailed response, but no, you can not "move" any part of your OS. (That which is on the Macintosh HD) You can additionally install your operating system on another disk and use that disk as your startup disk. Then If you wished to do so, you could erase the disk where you originally had the OS, but all other data would be lost, unless it had been copied or backed up.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2020 11:04 AM in response to Cranky-Fox

I am sure that someone else will be able to give you a more detailed response, but no, you can not "move" any part of your OS. (That which is on the Macintosh HD) You can additionally install your operating system on another disk and use that disk as your startup disk. Then If you wished to do so, you could erase the disk where you originally had the OS, but all other data would be lost, unless it had been copied or backed up.

Can I move the "Macintosh HD - Data" volume to another APFS formatted (SSD)disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.