Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to get a battery replacement (swollen battery) only for my out-of warranty iPhone X ?

So my iPhone X's battery has swollen just recently. I immediately turned the phone off as I'm aware that it is dangerous to use the device. I went to the nearest Apple Store and the technician said they can't make a battery replacement only as the warranty is already expired, and the only choice was for them to give me a new device with a cost although in the Apple Support web it says that battery replacement can be done even for the out-of-warranty device but of course with a cost. My concern now is only the datas inside my phone as I wasn't be able to do back-up before this matter happened. I am afraid to turn the phone on to do the back-up as it is claimed as a "tickling time bomb". Can someone help to enlighten me on this matter ? I'm hoping that I could just have the battery replaced and use the device back normally but it seems like it is impossible ?

iPhone X, iOS 13

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 4:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 5:13 PM

When a battery swells inside an enclosed unit (your iPhone) then it also bends and distorts other components near it including the casing of the iPhone. The enclosure will also have its seals compromised and will not longer provide water resistance etc. The logic board is also near the battery and can sustain damage. The entire iPhone loses its integrity when that happens. Apple therefore replaces the entire iPhone to maintain the iPhone's structural and functional integrity.

Your concern is to retrieve the data from your iPhone that does not have a backup created. I recommend that you not attempt to operate the iPhone to create a backup. I believe that it may be a good idea to ask that same Apple Store whether they can transfer the data to your replacement iPhone for you. They may or may not agree to do that however it will not hurt anyone if you ask. Thanks.

Axel F.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2020 5:13 PM in response to Pimentel28

When a battery swells inside an enclosed unit (your iPhone) then it also bends and distorts other components near it including the casing of the iPhone. The enclosure will also have its seals compromised and will not longer provide water resistance etc. The logic board is also near the battery and can sustain damage. The entire iPhone loses its integrity when that happens. Apple therefore replaces the entire iPhone to maintain the iPhone's structural and functional integrity.

Your concern is to retrieve the data from your iPhone that does not have a backup created. I recommend that you not attempt to operate the iPhone to create a backup. I believe that it may be a good idea to ask that same Apple Store whether they can transfer the data to your replacement iPhone for you. They may or may not agree to do that however it will not hurt anyone if you ask. Thanks.

Axel F.

Oct 7, 2020 6:30 PM in response to Axel Foley

Yeah, I've been asking a lot about the data back-up across the platform and most asked me to do the back-up on my own. I'm truly afraid to deal with my problematic device at the moment as it may bring danger to me. I've asked the technician about the back-up but he said that if the phone still can be turned on, claiming that it is safe to turn it on as long as I don't press the battery, then I should do the back-up myself. I should ask him again if they could do it for me just like what you advised. Thank you for the reply.

Oct 7, 2020 6:36 PM in response to Vegan Advocate

Totally! I would rather buy a new phone than placing my phone with a new exact device that would cost me more compared to just doing a battery replacement. Idk but I felt like I don't have any other good options than paying extra for a new device & buying new phone. I just want my datas back, that's all I'm all concern about. Thanks anyway for the reply.

Oct 8, 2020 7:38 AM in response to Pimentel28

If Apple doesn't want to help you, chances are that there are independent repair shops in the area that can put in a new battery in your phone, and you may have a working phone again. In some rare cases the battery may have damaged some of the components, but it's at least worth a try. You may not have a waterproof phone anymore, but I think most people are willing to compromise on that vs having no phone at all.

Is it possible to get a battery replacement (swollen battery) only for my out-of warranty iPhone X ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.