Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update iPad, so what do I do with the downloaded update?

I have a 3rd Gen iPad (2012). It stopped getting iOS updates in 2016 with version 9.3.5. I understand that my ancient iPad is no longer compatible with newer updates - 9.3.6 and newer. But here's the deal. When I go to Settings > General > Software Update it says that iOS 9.3.6 has been downloaded and highlights a button that says Install Now. It's annoying for one thing, that it is telling me this lye that I can update my iOS, but it is apparently taking up some storage space, somewhere, for this update that is useless on my machine. Is there some way to disable the software update message and delete the "downloaded" update from my machine?

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 10:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 2:34 AM

Deletion of a failed update package is straightforward...

Settings > General > iPad Storage - scroll down the list of Apps until you find the Apple update. When you find the update, tap, then select Delete Update.

6 replies

Can't update iPad, so what do I do with the downloaded update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.