Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drag and drop screenshot thumbnail into a document, will it be saved?

After taking some screenshots, I only want to use them in a specific document and I do not want them to be saved on my laptop. Can I just simply drag and drop the screenshots thumbnail into the document?

Will the screenshots still be saved somewhere on my laptop?

Mac Pro

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 11:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 7:55 AM

After I took a screenshot, if I wait for the thumbnail to disappear, then the screenshot will be saved onto my Desktop. However, if I dragged the screenshot into any applications when the thumbnail is still floating, then the screenshot was never saved onto my Desktop. So then does that still create a copy anywhere on my laptop?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2020 7:55 AM in response to Barney-15E

After I took a screenshot, if I wait for the thumbnail to disappear, then the screenshot will be saved onto my Desktop. However, if I dragged the screenshot into any applications when the thumbnail is still floating, then the screenshot was never saved onto my Desktop. So then does that still create a copy anywhere on my laptop?

Oct 8, 2020 5:40 AM in response to Q_ruiyu

You could also change the options so that the screenshots go directly to the clipboard, and paste them.

Of course then you would have to paste each one before making the next screenshot, otherwise you’d lose the clipboard contents.

To try it, press command-shift-5, click Options and choose Clipboard. If you later decide against it just do the same again and choose a different option.

Oct 12, 2020 8:07 AM in response to Q_ruiyu

Q_ruiyu wrote:

With just a little bit of trial and error & experimentation you can figure out what works best for you.

Take screenshots or screen recordings on Mac - Apple Support

See and organize your files in the Finder on Mac - Apple ...

Get to know the Finder on your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 8, 2020 4:19 AM in response to Q_ruiyu

They should remain where they are on your Desktop. Dragging them into an app would normally create a copy of the image to store with the document.

You would have to delete them after you put them into the document.

Note that it is possible for an app to "link" to the actual document and not embed it, so you would need to ask the developer how it works on their app.

Drag and drop screenshot thumbnail into a document, will it be saved?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.