Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

recents folder empty Catalina

My recents folder is empty. How do I get it working again?

Using Mac Catalina version 10.15.7. MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

MacBook Pro 15″, 10.15

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 11:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2020 7:31 AM

Actually putting * in the search was not showing all my files. For example I had two .txt files with the same name but in different folders: Searching for "*" only one was found, the less recent which was why I noticed. Searching for "txt" both were found.

I did a Relaunch of Finder (Opt+Cmd+Esc) and now Recents seems to be working normally. Fingers crossed.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2020 7:31 AM in response to aoc_theotherone

Actually putting * in the search was not showing all my files. For example I had two .txt files with the same name but in different folders: Searching for "*" only one was found, the less recent which was why I noticed. Searching for "txt" both were found.

I did a Relaunch of Finder (Opt+Cmd+Esc) and now Recents seems to be working normally. Fingers crossed.

Oct 13, 2020 1:32 PM in response to rj2014

They may not have the metadata attached if you restored from a backup.

Spotlight can get "stuck" on indexing some files. I don't have any experience hunting that down, though.

It used to be somewhat easy to go into console and find errors that would indicate where the problem exists, but the rewrite of console and the logging system makes everything difficult.

Oct 17, 2020 3:53 PM in response to rj2014

Spotlight was working for me, and Recents was not. Does that describe your situation?

Before, when I clicked on Show Search Criteria, there was nothing. That's why putting in something like "*" or "txt" was helpful for me. After I did the Relaunch of Finder, when I clicked on Show Search Criteria, there was:

Raw Query (kMDItemLastUsedDate = "*") &&

This is the metadata rather cryptically referred to above by Barney-15E. So if the Search Criteria is empty, Recents shows nothing. It's a search not a filter.

But your problem may be entirely different from mine. Nobody knows but you, because you haven't given any details of your issue beyond "empty" and "nothing helps".

recents folder empty Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.