Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Air 13 Inch, Mid 2012 is at a battery cycle count of 257. It has the “service battery” notice on it, but on your website it says that this model can have up to 1000 cycles. I’m wondering if this means I need to install a new battery?

Do I need a new battery?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 8:35 AM

"Service Battery" means just that: Check the condition of your Mac computer's battery - Apple Support.

• Service Recommended: The battery's ability to hold charge is less than when it was new or it isn't functioning normally. You can safely continue to use your Mac but you should take it to an Apple Store or Apple-authorized service provider to get your battery evaluated.

Get it fixed: Mac Service and Repair - Official Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2020 8:35 AM in response to jaimecraft

"Service Battery" means just that: Check the condition of your Mac computer's battery - Apple Support.

• Service Recommended: The battery's ability to hold charge is less than when it was new or it isn't functioning normally. You can safely continue to use your Mac but you should take it to an Apple Store or Apple-authorized service provider to get your battery evaluated.

Get it fixed: Mac Service and Repair - Official Apple Support

My MacBook Air 13 Inch, Mid 2012 is at a battery cycle count of 257. It has the “service battery” notice on it, but on your website it says that this model can have up to 1000 cycles. I’m wondering if this means I need to install a new battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.