Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Someone gave me their old Ipad...

Hello,

My partner and I recently went through a devastating loss and some very kind people shared what they had to help us get back on our feet. One person in particular gave me their old IPad saying "you can have this, I never use it because I don't remember my apple ID information."

They no longer use any apple products and have tried many times to recover the lost information. After trying for a long time they gave up and eventually gave the IPad to me and my partner in hopes we would be able to find a use for it.

I have tried restoring the IPad to factory settings but it still prompts me for the old apple log-in information. Since the kind person who gave this to me does not have any of his old information, what would be the best way to go about this? I can easily contact the person who gave this to me but they no longer use Apple products.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Andrew

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 11:35 AM

Without the Apple ID and Password of the person who set up the iPad, you will never be able to use it. Activation Lock is a theft prevention feature. The only way Apple will help is if you can produce the original receipt clearly showing the serial number. Apple won't even open its devices for law enforcement, so I am afraid you are out of luck. These links explain Activation Lock...

Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2020 11:35 AM in response to andrew_shmandrew

Without the Apple ID and Password of the person who set up the iPad, you will never be able to use it. Activation Lock is a theft prevention feature. The only way Apple will help is if you can produce the original receipt clearly showing the serial number. Apple won't even open its devices for law enforcement, so I am afraid you are out of luck. These links explain Activation Lock...

Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Someone gave me their old Ipad...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.