Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV external speakers

i just got Apple tv and I have a sound bar. When I first hooked it all up, everything was in sync. When I turned the tv on using the Apple remote, the tv, sound bar, and Apple TV turned on. I also had control of the sound bar volume with the Apple tv remote.

suddenly, the Apple TV remote just stopped working for volume and I had to manually change the settings. I can now control the volume with the Apple TV remote but I the speakers have to be turned on separately from the Apple tv and tv. Please help I want things to go back to when I could control everything with just the Apple TV remote: sound AND power..

Apple TV HD, tvOS 14

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 1:43 PM

The soundbar can be powered on with the Apple TV and TV, if all devices are HDMI connected, and support HDMI-CEC with the CEC power/standby feature. CEC can usually be turned on or off on each device. CEC may be named differently, depending on the brand of the device.

Control your TV or receiver with your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote - Apple Support

Settings﹥Remotes and Devices﹥Control TVs and Receivers﹥On|Off

The volume control on the Apple remote can be set to go through HDMI (if the soundbar supports HDMI volume control), or through IR directly to the TV or soundbar.

Settings﹥Remotes and Devices﹥Volume Control﹥

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2020 1:43 PM in response to Jo_maria

The soundbar can be powered on with the Apple TV and TV, if all devices are HDMI connected, and support HDMI-CEC with the CEC power/standby feature. CEC can usually be turned on or off on each device. CEC may be named differently, depending on the brand of the device.

Control your TV or receiver with your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote - Apple Support

Settings﹥Remotes and Devices﹥Control TVs and Receivers﹥On|Off

The volume control on the Apple remote can be set to go through HDMI (if the soundbar supports HDMI volume control), or through IR directly to the TV or soundbar.

Settings﹥Remotes and Devices﹥Volume Control﹥

Apple TV external speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.