Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iam so frustrated with apple music

hi

Ive got 2012 13, MacBook pro, mid. its a good machine, Ian having issues with Catalina, "music"

th song files keep disappearing, and Ive read every fix, reinstalled Catalina 4 times now,

deleted all music from library, before reinstaling, add it back after I create a new folder,

and in the corse of a few days, the songs are not available (not all of them, and a album will become 3,

its happening to music I downloaded from the music store, and cd's I burned.

Iam not "getting it",

and I was good with itunes, but I'm lost on apple music.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 9:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 4:45 PM

Yes it happens and it's just one of several issues in Music app.

Here's the fix...

Delete that album, but don't delete the files from its folder, go to the album folder through finder and drag and drop will consolidate the splits of albums back to one.

Similar questions

6 replies

Oct 16, 2020 6:59 AM in response to davidschoenoff

If iTunes or music shows multiple instances of an artist or an album then what generally works is to select all related tracks and use Get Info to add say a trailing X to each of the fields that the tracks should have in common:

• For an album; Album, Album Artist, and Artist (if artist is the same for all tracks) *
  • For an artist; Album Artist (and Artist unless there are guest/featured artists listed which should not be changed)

Apply the change which merges things together, then remove the excess characters. Occasionally it may help to close and reopen the application between the two renaming operations. Part of a compilation should also be set consistently.

* If tracks are to be synced to a non-iOS device there should be a common Artist and/or the album should be set as a Compilation.

Use the songs view and display the fields Album, Sort Album, Album Artist, Sort Album Artist, Artist and Sort Artist side by side so you see whether or not it is appropriate to edit Artist and if sort values could be causing any further problems. See Grouping tracks into albums for more help if required.

One further tip for really stubborn duplicates. At one point I had three lots of Various Artists in the artists view of my iTunes Match library that wouldn't respond to the usual trailing X treatment. What I found worked was to add the trailing X to start with, but then with each group that iTunes wanted to keep separate start typing a value and let iTunes autocomplete from say Var... to Various Artists. Picking from the autocomplete lists seemed to work when pasting/editing the whole value didn't.

tt2

Oct 16, 2020 7:37 AM in response to turingtest2

Yes, I tried that logic, but sometimes it doesn't work, and results have been inconsistent, even if all the fields are 100% same. In some instances it worked and some it didn't. The only reliable workaround worked me all the time is

From all the multiple instances/split of any single album

• Select any track > right click > click show in finder (move the finder window to the side as you will need it later on).

• Select all the multiple instances of tracks/single album > hit delete from Library > Delete Songs > Keep Files

• Drag and drop all the songs from the finder window to your Music/iTunes app.

Music/iTunes always keep the tracks in the same folder in the finder regardless. it only messes up in the Music/iTunes app interface.

Obviously try the first option and try to consolidate them within the app as you mentioned as you will maintain play counts and all sorts of data.

Oct 14, 2020 9:56 AM in response to Farrukh

thank you, that, worked, i still have music that disappears, but the library has gotten much more stable,

Learning curve for me.

i have a older, iPod classic 5, that has my music library, and I used imazing , to put the music back that vanished , I didn't check, on

the software, in the iPod ive used imazing a few times over the years, for no other reason then convience. and of course, the next morning music is disappearing , and what I read on the "forums ", Iam not understanding "yet"

so third time I decided to reinstall catalina, as Iam pretty sure i destroyed the music app hunting for files, night before. I have 2012 mid 13 inch MacBook pro, that has been a trusty machine ,

so I cleaned out the music library except for the fragmented music , and i used finder and i got it back,

after I was done reinstalling catalina , i had 3/4 of my music libary ( cd's } and I just took my time putting it back in through the cd dvd (highlighting the device and then choosing , file-import- (device cd/dvd to import it in to music library,

"not using the import buttons next to the player"

double check that the "info" all matched up, I remember very well 10 years back doing same thing,

iam not that good with finder, but I'm going to be.

its been A few days now since that last reinstall , I still have some stuff vanishing its a lot easier to find it

I have a lot of audio books ( "cd's), and that was what I had to put back together, all 50 albums,

back in the itunes days one

could change The media source and put audiobooks as the option, I don't see that option now, and can't change it from music, so I haven't figured out how to get them to'' book/audio books,'' I have the original cd's still, so I can go that route,

if I have to,

delete all the audio books and then reinstall them,

and I want to get better on finder , I realized how much, i didn't know,

and I just checked this morning and that iPod hadn't been used 6 or 7 years, so I haven't confirmed it yet, iam thinking

that when I dumped the music back in in was maybe a old format maybe, so now my root library is all nice and simple now

I think I read everybody's posts here and that also helped .

Farrukh thank you so much,

iam so frustrated with apple music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.