Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2-step verification code is sent to both my phone and computer

Hello,

It seems confusing to me that, whenever I'm signing in to Apple from my computer (for example signing in to this apple community), the 2-step verification system sends me a login authentification request and a verification code on both my phone and computer at the same time. I can accept it from both devices equally and it works in both cases.

I'm pretty sure it's a bug, as receiving it on the same device I'm signing in onto would otherwise defeat the purpose. Or maybe I missed a point?

Thank you very much.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 9, 2020 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2020 8:04 PM

If this is a 6 digit code, then it is NOT 2 step verification (Two-step verification for Apple ID - Apple Support) but it is instead the newer 2 factor authentication system (Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support).

Six digit AppleID 2FA codes are sent by default, over encrypted iCloud notifications, simultaneously to all of your Apple trusted devices. The point being they are trusted devices, and you’re keeping your own trusted devices up to date. Plus they need your password as well as the code, so presumably you’re using a strong passcode and keeping it strictly private.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2020 8:04 PM in response to Megalo-XVII

If this is a 6 digit code, then it is NOT 2 step verification (Two-step verification for Apple ID - Apple Support) but it is instead the newer 2 factor authentication system (Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support).

Six digit AppleID 2FA codes are sent by default, over encrypted iCloud notifications, simultaneously to all of your Apple trusted devices. The point being they are trusted devices, and you’re keeping your own trusted devices up to date. Plus they need your password as well as the code, so presumably you’re using a strong passcode and keeping it strictly private.

2-step verification code is sent to both my phone and computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.