Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the iPhone Setting/Podcasts/Continuous Playback also control Watch playback?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 14.0.1

Watch Series 5 Cellular, watchOS 7.0.1

When I’m listening to Podcasts from my Watch I want the Playback to stop when an episode completes.

On my iPhone under Settings/Podcasts there is a control for ‘Continuous Playback’.

I have that set ‘Off’.

Is that setting designed to also control playback on my Watch?

Other Settings:

Iphone/Settings/Podcasts/Sync Podcasts = On

Watch/Podcasts/Add Episodes From = (I’ve tried both ‘Up Next’ and ‘Custom’)

I typically listen to Podcasts on my Watch without a connection to the iPhone or WiFi.

(I walk with just my Watch, not my iPhone)

Thanks for any help or advice!

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 6:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 3:29 PM

Spoke with Apple Support. After doing a lot of checking we all agreed there is not Setting, etc. that

will control the Playback of Podcast episodes on the Watch.

I submitted a Feedback to request a new setting.

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 12, 2020 4:31 PM in response to randyw57

Well, I tried doing an Unpair/Pair, then Restore from Backup. No change.

Next I did an Unpair/Pair, then Setup as New Watch.

During the setup process there was a new software update for WatchOS. 7.0.2.

I installed that during the Setup.

After the setup completed, I went through and reconfigured my Watch to return it to my original configuration.

Tested the Podcast playback. Now it Stops after an episode completes.

(Well, actually, it will roll over to the next podcast but it won’t start playing it. This is the same behavior as the iPhone.)

Obviously, I can’t tell now what action fixed the issue.

fwiw, I did participate in the recent Beta’s for WatchOS and iOS.

Oct 14, 2020 2:06 PM in response to randyw57

More news:

Here is what I believe is happening.

In the Watch app on the iPhone under Podcast there is a section for ‘Add Episodes From’.

First option is ‘Up Next’, the other is ‘Custom’.

Using ‘Up Next’ an episode will play and at its completion the playback of podcasts is stopped.

Using ‘Custom’ an episode will play and at its completion the playback rolls over to the next episode.

I have found no control that alters that behavior.

Does the iPhone Setting/Podcasts/Continuous Playback also control Watch playback?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.