Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the "sorting" tab in the song information ?

When I select Get Information for a song, there is a tag called "sorting". When I select it, the tags are there, but the information in the "sort as" data is greyed out? What is that?

I was told to use "sort artist" and "sort album artist" to help clean up my iTunes library. Do I need to go into every song and add the sort album artist information?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 3:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 3:42 PM

The sort fields let you override the default sort position of selected items by putting in a different value. The app will auto generate sort values for any that have a leading article (a/an/the) so The Beatles becomes Beatles in any of the sort fields, and sorts under B rather than T. You can, if you choose, add a sort value of Dylan, Bob to every Bob Dylan track so he gets sorted under D, but that might be a rather large exercise if carried out across your whole library for every artist. You should be consistent, i.e. you should add your custom sort value to all instances of the primary value. In my library I've fixed all classical composers so they're sorted by surname, and all my items with numbers so they are in numeric order by padding out with leading zeros.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2020 3:42 PM in response to turnerhj

The sort fields let you override the default sort position of selected items by putting in a different value. The app will auto generate sort values for any that have a leading article (a/an/the) so The Beatles becomes Beatles in any of the sort fields, and sorts under B rather than T. You can, if you choose, add a sort value of Dylan, Bob to every Bob Dylan track so he gets sorted under D, but that might be a rather large exercise if carried out across your whole library for every artist. You should be consistent, i.e. you should add your custom sort value to all instances of the primary value. In my library I've fixed all classical composers so they're sorted by surname, and all my items with numbers so they are in numeric order by padding out with leading zeros.

tt2

What is the "sorting" tab in the song information ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.