Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting an iMovie project to an external drive and to Apple TV Library (for home sharing)

I just completed editing a 30 minute home video project in iMovie. I want to export it to two places:

1. To an external drive - Within iMovie I went to file, share, file, next, and then saved it to the external drive. This took about 30 minutes to complete the save process to the external drive. On the external drive the movie project was saved in two formats: an MPEG-4 movie format whose size is zero bites (it should be 3 or 4 GB). It also saved as a Document with a 657 MB size. Something is wrong here. Can you tell me the correct process?
  2. How do I export this same iMovie project to the Apple TV Library, so I can watch it on my large screen TV via home sharing? I have several iMovie projects in the Apple TV Library from the old days, when this movie project export process was done via iTunes. How do I do it now?

Thank you,

HDP

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 10, 2020 7:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 9:39 AM

Hi,

As to question no. 1, if you designated your external drive as the destination in the "Where" box, the project should share there as a movie. Since that is not happening correctly, try deleting preferences and then re-share the project. To delete preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Then see if the export works properly.

As to question no. 1, I have no personal experience with exporting to Apple TV, so cannot comment definitively. I would guess that you would export your project to a movie File on your desktop, and from there import it into Apple TV in accordance with the app's instructions.

-- Rich

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2020 9:39 AM in response to HDP

Hi,

As to question no. 1, if you designated your external drive as the destination in the "Where" box, the project should share there as a movie. Since that is not happening correctly, try deleting preferences and then re-share the project. To delete preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Then see if the export works properly.

As to question no. 1, I have no personal experience with exporting to Apple TV, so cannot comment definitively. I would guess that you would export your project to a movie File on your desktop, and from there import it into Apple TV in accordance with the app's instructions.

-- Rich

Exporting an iMovie project to an external drive and to Apple TV Library (for home sharing)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.