Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't export a file from iMovie to watch in TV app

I used to create home movies in iMovie, and then get them onto my phone via syncing with iTunes. Now that Music and TV has been split it's a bit more cumbersome to manage media I want on my devices, but I could figure it out.

The new problem is that TV won't accept (by dragging from Finder, or using Command-O import) an MP4 that I created in iMovie. It just doesn't do anything. There's no iMovie option to publish it to Apple TV. Only to create a file, which is only MP4, which seems no longer accepted on TV. That seems really crazy. Who can help?

iMac Pro

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 3:37 PM

Do not export using ProRes “Best” settings.

Verify that the exported file has H.264 video and AAC audio.

To add files to the library of the TV app, drag-and-drop the exported .mp4/.m4v/.mov file to the TV app with the library tab open. Untagged movie files will be categorized as Home Videos.

What is your version macOS? What is your version iMovie?

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 3:37 PM in response to CandMLips

Do not export using ProRes “Best” settings.

Verify that the exported file has H.264 video and AAC audio.

To add files to the library of the TV app, drag-and-drop the exported .mp4/.m4v/.mov file to the TV app with the library tab open. Untagged movie files will be categorized as Home Videos.

What is your version macOS? What is your version iMovie?

I can't export a file from iMovie to watch in TV app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.