Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the Photos app use the iPhotos Library file?

I'm trying to delete unneeded files from my MacBook Air to free up space, and there's a file taking up 70GB called "iPhotos Library." The system identifies it as a "Migrated Photo Library," but it isn't clear if this means the data have been duplicated and moved to a new file or if the library itself has been converted and is in use by the newer Photos app. Trying to open the file brings up this error message, and clicking the More Info button takes me to a support page that's not informative.

I obviously don't want to delete all my old photos, but if it's "Migrated" does this mean that the photos have been imported to a different file, so I can delete the old one?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 8:17 AM

If it has been properly imported all your photos should be in your photos library. Just to be sure, take a copy of the iphoto library and store it somewhere safe, then delete it from the current location. Then check all the same photos are still available.

Similar questions

2 replies

Does the Photos app use the iPhotos Library file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.