Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Too many photo and iPhoto libraries:

If when trying to open one of three photo libraries I get a message that a 35.44 GB documents file I have on my iMac called iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary, indicating its contents was migrated to my 34.84 GB file called Photos Library.photoslibrary, can I just trash the migrated one without loosing any photos?

And I have a 3rd file, called iPhoto Library.photoslibrary that's 30.91 GB and is essentially all the same photos as in the first two above. So how do I get safely to having just one Photos Library, with everything in it, without having to go through and check the thousands of photos are all captured in the Photos Library?

Thank you,

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 10:48 AM

If you're sure all of the photos were migrated successfully to the new Photos library you can delete the library with the migratedphotolibrary extension. However, you won't be gaining as much storage space on your drive as the size indicates because the two libraries share the same disk space for the originals that were migrated. so for your 35 GB library you may only recover 4-5 GB in space.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2020 10:48 AM in response to NUModel

If you're sure all of the photos were migrated successfully to the new Photos library you can delete the library with the migratedphotolibrary extension. However, you won't be gaining as much storage space on your drive as the size indicates because the two libraries share the same disk space for the originals that were migrated. so for your 35 GB library you may only recover 4-5 GB in space.

Too many photo and iPhoto libraries:

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.