Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac desktop keyboard misbehaving

Keyboard is fully charged - tested on my laptop - but when I start to type, the letters aren't coming on to the screen correctly? I shut the system down but when I switched it on again, it wouldn't accept my correct password. Shut down, unplug at wall, plug in after 5 minutes, switch it on, it lets me enter correct password and into the desktop but still the letters I'm typing, aren't coming on to the screen.

Every time there is a major-ish update done, I have issues with this iMac!

​[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 11, 2020 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 10:58 AM

I did what you suggested but it made no difference so I contacted Apple Support directly yesterday and they called me back from the States - it's usually Ireland. Anyway, the first lady mirrored my screens and tried all sorts of things to get the iMac to do what it should (I had already told her that both magic keyboards refused to work on the iMac but were fine on the laptop so we knew the issue lay with the iMac) but then after 45 minutes or so she transferred me into a "queue" to wait for the next level of expertise and about 30 minutes later, Sarah came online, took over my screen again and started to check out various possibilities.

I told her about a different issue I'd had earlier this year, when this iMac would not let me fill in my password at sign on and that sometimes I had to "uncheck the Mouse Keys" first She then found that "enable Mouse Keys" was checked at sign on, disabled them and that made the keyboard work fully again. Sorted.

Unfortunately today, my MacBook Air and my iMac aren't copying and pasting with each other so I've been using Airdrop a lot more than usual. Keeps me on my toes!

Thanks for your suggestions re solutions and Apple Care.

Brenda

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2020 10:58 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I did what you suggested but it made no difference so I contacted Apple Support directly yesterday and they called me back from the States - it's usually Ireland. Anyway, the first lady mirrored my screens and tried all sorts of things to get the iMac to do what it should (I had already told her that both magic keyboards refused to work on the iMac but were fine on the laptop so we knew the issue lay with the iMac) but then after 45 minutes or so she transferred me into a "queue" to wait for the next level of expertise and about 30 minutes later, Sarah came online, took over my screen again and started to check out various possibilities.

I told her about a different issue I'd had earlier this year, when this iMac would not let me fill in my password at sign on and that sometimes I had to "uncheck the Mouse Keys" first She then found that "enable Mouse Keys" was checked at sign on, disabled them and that made the keyboard work fully again. Sorted.

Unfortunately today, my MacBook Air and my iMac aren't copying and pasting with each other so I've been using Airdrop a lot more than usual. Keeps me on my toes!

Thanks for your suggestions re solutions and Apple Care.

Brenda

Oct 11, 2020 12:09 PM in response to Auntie Brenda

Do the following resets:

SMC (do with all USB peripherals disconneceted) 2-3 times back to back. SMC Reset

NVRAM reset 1x How to reset NVRAM on your Mac

Safe Mode Restart (then restart normally and retest) Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Again, if these do not help then the final thing to do is to test a USB keyboard and if it works okay then you know your wireless keyboard needs to be replaced. If it is covered by the Macs's 1 year warranty or you bought AppleCare and still have some coverage simply call AppleCare, explain the issue, what you have attempted and they will hep you arrange getting a replacement.

Oct 11, 2020 4:14 PM in response to Auntie Brenda

I'll look forward to hearing from you. Next time when you buy a Mac it's really a good idea to buy AppleCare, I always do as I figure I'm investing a lot of money and the cost of AppleCare can be recouped in just one repair if I ever need it. I've been lucky, I never have but then again, I'm still thankful I have it to fall back on just in case.

iMac desktop keyboard misbehaving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.