Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 14 Mail imap

my telecom provider (scarlet in Belgium) offers an e-mail box to its clients, that I managed mainly via the Mail app on my iPhone: incoming mails via IMAP, outgoing via POP3. But after I upgraded this weekend, it wasn't possible anymore to receive in the Mail app emails from the IMAP server of Scarlet. Apple told me they have informed in time all email providers about adjustments they should make to their IMAP servers to stay compatible with the Mail app in iOS14, and that it's not their fault that my provider hasn't applied these adjustments in time. So Apple doesn't intend to send a "patch" that makes their Mail app in iOS14 treat IMAP servers the same way as it did in iOS13. But is it really a problem on the email provider side? Doesn anyone else has this problem, with another email provider than Scarlet? If yes: have you found a solution to this problem?

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 2:57 AM

Similar questions

24 replies

Oct 12, 2020 3:23 AM in response to Carambolleke

All my email servers are IMAP, Carambolleke, and I haven’t had any problems with any of them (other than updating my passwords on a few of them).

However, I am surprised at your outgoing server configuration being POP3.

While many of my outgoing mail servers use different servers than my IMAP servers, none are configured as POP servers. They are all SMTP servers.

Oct 12, 2020 3:50 AM in response to Carambolleke

Really, Carambolleke, I hadn’t even known that Apple changed anything, though I know that the IMAP protocols are updated, now and then. (POP is so old, I don’t believe it is ever updated, any more.)

I haven’t been paying close attention, over the last decade or so, but I would not be the least bit surprised if the IMAP protocols have been updated, and Apple has moved right along with the update—especially if the new protocols provide greater security and/or additional features.

However, I can certainly believe that some small providers may not stay up on the latest protocols.

Nov 4, 2020 11:12 PM in response to KatrienVandorpe

FWIW, and as could be expected: same issue on iPadOS 14 (including 14.1).

(For a good laugh: Scarlet support redirects its customers with this complaint to a web page on The Verge that 1) is totally unrelated (it is about the persistent change of the default mail app), and 2) does not pretend to offer any solution, just reports an old and solved beta issue. So if you happen to receive the same answer: stop the cust rep right away and confront them with the absurdity and inadequacy of the answer.)

Dec 13, 2020 8:42 AM in response to KatrienVandorpe

No progress: still not a single answer to any written problem report, customer rep still insists on pointing to Apple for solution. Possible interim "solution", besides using another mail client (like Airmail): in email configuration via my.scarlet, configure all mail to be forwarded to another address, include the incoming mail server (not scarlet!) for this other address in the iDevice, get all mail via this other account. Has drawbacks: any answer to an incoming mail will be sent from this other account (may be confusing for the original sender), can be alleviated a bit by setting the "send reply to" address to the original scarlet address; also watch out for auto replies that may get in a loop

ios 14 Mail imap

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.