Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Maps storage

apple Maps is taking up 37 GB of storage on my phone how do I get rid of that. I already deleted the app and reinstalled it and nothing changed

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2020 3:26 PM

my Apple Maps is using 15gb of documents and data. When I delete the app the entire 15gb get reassigned to the “other” category. When I reinstall the app it reassigns the 15gb back to Apple Maps “documents and data”.

I was so frustrated that I did a factory reset a few days ago, which worked. But all day my phone has been running hot and losing charge on the charger and my Apple Maps is back up to 15gb of documents and data. (I have been driving all day with Apple Maps for directions via Car Play.

it seem Apple CarPlay, long days of driving, are required to recreate this issue. I can also confirm that a factory reset and restore fixes the issue, but not permanently.

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2020 3:26 PM in response to ProustGiulio

my Apple Maps is using 15gb of documents and data. When I delete the app the entire 15gb get reassigned to the “other” category. When I reinstall the app it reassigns the 15gb back to Apple Maps “documents and data”.

I was so frustrated that I did a factory reset a few days ago, which worked. But all day my phone has been running hot and losing charge on the charger and my Apple Maps is back up to 15gb of documents and data. (I have been driving all day with Apple Maps for directions via Car Play.

it seem Apple CarPlay, long days of driving, are required to recreate this issue. I can also confirm that a factory reset and restore fixes the issue, but not permanently.

Oct 22, 2020 2:46 PM in response to roshaun98

my Apple Maps was using 45gb of space. I was on the phone with apple support for an hour and a half yesterday and they had no clue why. I reset my phone and it was back to normal. I used it 2 times today with CarPlay and it is already over 3gb. I don’t have time to keep resetting. I guess it’s time for google maps or waze

Oct 17, 2020 7:54 PM in response to ProustGiulio

Phone is iPhone X 64 GB on Verizon. iOS is 14.0.1.

While traveling in a situation with no access to WiFi for 10-11 days and using Apple Maps (CarPlay) for all navigation I noticed my phone was slowing and running warmer than normal. Charging also appeared to be happening slower than usual.

I tried to open the camera app to take a pic and got the message that iPhone storage was full and I could not take any more pics. I reviewed the storage being used by apps and Maps was using a whopping 32 GB and I could find no way to reduce that storage.

I reduced my total usage by deleting some pics. I also removed some apps that I was not regularly using. This resulted in my being able to take a few pics.

by the next day I received the iPhone storage full message again. I again checked storage used by apps and my Maps storage usage had grown to 37 GB. I tried removing Maps and rebooting my phone and even though Maps was no longer on my phone my storage was still using 37 GB for maps. I reinstalled maps and the condition remained.

That night I stayed in a place with decent WiFi and made sure that my phone completed a manual backup. In the morning I checked to insure that backup had completed, which it had. I checked storage and my Maps storage usage had reduced to less than 1 GB and my phone was showing 35 GB available.

Unfortunately, the warmer than usual, slow running, and slow charging condition remained. When I arrived home I forced another backup and reset my phone, using the backup just created. Things seem better so far, but this reset is only a couple of hours old, so I’m still reserving judgement.

Oct 18, 2020 9:22 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Strange happening. I've used Maps twice in the last 4 days, on Thursday and again on Friday. I'm on an iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 14.0.1. Checking on my storage, Maps is using 25.4MB in App Size and 10.2MB in Documents and Data for a total storage at 35.6MB. Reading the other posts here, I can say that my device has been doing regular iCloud backups over the last 4 days as well, so I cannot say that has any correlation.

Oct 15, 2020 9:05 AM in response to TieHand

TieHand,

thanks for sharing your experience, and glad you have worked it out.

But I'm interested in your notification. Can I ask you a few questions to better understand the problem and possibly help others who may suffer from it?

1. Which iPhone model do you use and with which version of IOS?
  2. If I understand correctly, did you just make a full backup to iCloud (without data restore) and your storage space decreased by 37GB? This leaves me very incredulous, because I don't think this operation will change the amount of data on your iPhone. I am not questioning your words, but I am wondering how this could have happened.
  3. Have you noticed this decrease only on Apple Maps, or also for the space related to other apps?
  4. Are you sure you have not done any other operation (such as a forced reboot) or changed any settings on your phone before and after the backup?

Thank you

Giulio

Oct 20, 2020 6:30 AM in response to roshaun98

Greetings roshaun98,

In addition to what I already reported to TieHand (you too, check that Maps synchronization with iCloud is disabled), I would like to point out that the greatest benefits (for space recovery) are always obtained by restoring the iPhone to factory conditions, even because this basic troubleshooting procedure reinstalls a fresh copy of the operating system, often fixing some glitches.

Yes, it is a little inconvenient, but it is highly recommended. If you've never done it, create a full backup of your device, then restore it to factory settings and, in the end, set it up as new, using these instructions:--> Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

When done, restore your data from previously made backup:--> Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

Forgot to ask you: are you using Apple Maps with Carplay?

Please keep me informed and, if you decide to restore your device, let me know how it goes.

Regards

Giulio

Oct 15, 2020 7:35 AM in response to Jdblake18

I was having the exact same problem. Was preparing to reset my phone and restore. I was on the road at the time and hadn’t backed up in 8 days so thought I’d wait until I got home.

Last night I stayed in a place with decent WiFi and was able to back up. Checked this morning and my maps data is back to normal.

Ive been having some other issues with my phone that I hope are helped by this or I will restore when I get home anyway, but the 37gb dedicated to maps has been resolved.

hope this helps.

Oct 20, 2020 6:11 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Hello Tiehand

In these two days I've tried to replicate your issue on my iPhone XR, but I wasn't able to get more than 40-45MB. As I don't have a car with Carplay, my tests lack that feature.

I tried a couple of paths by enabling Apple Maps synchronization on iCloud, then I repeated the same paths by disabling this synchronization, and I got more or less the same results (a few Mbytes less by disabling the option). If you have that option enabled, try to disable it and test again. Let me know how it goes for you.

Thanks

Giulio

Oct 20, 2020 10:19 AM in response to ProustGiulio

I have CarPlay but not on my main vehicle. So I use car play maybe once or twice on The Weekends with my 2020 Telluride. During the week I use Apple Maps heavily as my job requires me to travel all over San Diego County. I only put this information in just in case someone has other experiences that might pertain to vehicle or location. You never know. I’ll have to update my phone on the weekend because it’s my lifeline during the week and I can’t have any downtime. I’ll keep you posted. Oh and as of right now I’m at 37.15 GB.

Oct 27, 2020 3:26 PM in response to ProustGiulio

I have this same problem. My phone is a XR and I’ve used CarPlay extensively for the last 3 weeks. Today the directions froze. Later I found out that the memory is almost full. Guessing that the nearly full memory caused the problem. Also guessing that the feature that allows a route to be followed even when a cell signal is lost may be misbehaving.

Oct 29, 2020 2:18 PM in response to Jdblake18

I have a 64 GB iPhone 8, the available storage was fluctuating from 5 GBs to 12 GBs to 5 GBs to less than 1 GB. Looking at the storage breakdown, maps was using over 12 GBs of storage for documents and data. I Backed up everything except maps, wiped the drive clean and re-installed from the back-up. Maps documents and data dropped down to just 100.7 MBs. The next day I connected my iPhone into CarPlay for less than an hour. Map documents and data had already ballooned up to 449.4 MBs.

Apple Maps storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.