Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using external hard drive connected to router for iphone storage/remote access

Hi, I am wondering about the feasibility of setting up an external hard drive to connect to my wifi router via usb 3.0 and use as backup storage for my family's iphones/ipads, and possibly remotely access it when I'm not at home. Is this idea possible, and if so, how do I go about setting it up? Thanks for any help!

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 10:58 AM

You wouldn't be able to back up iOS devices wirelessly to the external drive connected to a router. As long as you back them up to the computer you could possibly point the backups to be sent there. Setting up the drive to remotely access it while away from home is beyond the scope of this community. You'd want to search online on how to do that.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2020 10:58 AM in response to bradlawrencegt

You wouldn't be able to back up iOS devices wirelessly to the external drive connected to a router. As long as you back them up to the computer you could possibly point the backups to be sent there. Setting up the drive to remotely access it while away from home is beyond the scope of this community. You'd want to search online on how to do that.

Using external hard drive connected to router for iphone storage/remote access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.