Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clips black in library post import

This is a strange one, not had anything of the sort before.

I've imported footage from a canon EOS 80D, it's 1080 50fps and MP4 format on the SD card.

Initially the thumbnails show up fine in the library (+the camera icon to indicate it's not finished an import) but shortly after the thumbnails turn black. Least I'm fairly sure that's what happens.

They are mp4 on the SD card, but when I hit reveal in finder they appear to be MOVs. I never knew it changes formats on import...

Stranger still is the fact some of the clips are fine, some are not, from the same SD card. I did not change the format settings on the camera at any point.

I've tried forcing a transcode on them, but it appears to have been done.

I've also hit re-import from camera on a couple but it made no difference.

I then went and re-imported it again, not deleting the previous versions and these now are blue in colour with a few frames of waveform in the thumbnail also.

I can't figure out what's gone wrong.

The first black batch, when you play the timecode seems to skip a bit as well. but project is set to 50fps.

Worst of all I'm on a super tight deadline and could really do without technical issues such as this!!!

One more thing to note, I've had to start the project using a USB cable with the external drive but plan to move it across to a thunerport drive tomorrow. I'm half wondering if that can have anything to do with it.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thank you

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 4:10 AM

Hi Tom,

Overnight I run the operating system update which was due.

I moved project & all files to my WD thunderbolt drive.

Deleted the faulty files from within FCP.

Re-imported the footage directly from the SD card and it's still transcoding but seems to be playing fine!!!

So can't really explain what had happened, but I have a feeling the USB connection must have a lot to do with it.

fingers crossed for no issues during export!!!

Thanks again TOM.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2020 4:10 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom,

Overnight I run the operating system update which was due.

I moved project & all files to my WD thunderbolt drive.

Deleted the faulty files from within FCP.

Re-imported the footage directly from the SD card and it's still transcoding but seems to be playing fine!!!

So can't really explain what had happened, but I have a feeling the USB connection must have a lot to do with it.

fingers crossed for no issues during export!!!

Thanks again TOM.

Oct 12, 2020 3:46 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom, thanks for jumping in.

Well no, they aren't exactly the same. The ones with clip in the name are AVCHD but same frame rate and resolution.... I've got in there some footage from yet another camera (Semi pro) which I don't really know about but the clips play ok, ish.

What is key though is of the Canon batch of clips which I can confirm are all of the same spec, some are black, some play just fine.

Also when I play both the blue or black clips they play a second of audio, but no video.

Then the timecode continues but nothing in the viewer.

Oct 12, 2020 4:11 PM in response to ilona-FCPXstilllearning

That is strange because the file name looks like it should be video. These files were all on the same SD card? This can be a real problem when mixing formats, and should always be avoided. The metadata can get mixed up and the files incorrectly interpreted. It might be better to open the card and find the video clips in it and copy them out and then deal with them. Maybe converting or wrapping them with an application like EditReady.

Oct 12, 2020 4:19 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

yeah see I had a feeling this is not a regular error, it feels like the software is confused.

Indeed, same SD card, same camera & same format.

When you say find the clips, you mean directly on the SD card? copy them onto hard drive outside of FCP and possibly convert them just to give them fresh metadata? Did I understand correctly?

Overnight though I'm going to delete all the rogue clips, noting down clip numbers just in case.

I'm going to move the whole project & files lot to my WD thunderbolt drive, and re-import from the SD card hoping for a miracle.

Failing all of that i'll look at the application you've suggested.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP tonight, i've got some steps to try and problem solve.

Will keep you posted.

Clips black in library post import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.