Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drag and Drop difficulties

I cannot seem to figure out how to drag and drop items on my MacBook Pro. It doesn't make sense! When I click on an item, it opens. I tried changing my track pad settings and that doesn't seem to help. It's driving me batty!

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 12, 2020 5:15 PM

4 replies

Oct 17, 2020 10:33 AM in response to Nmhawes09

Hello Nmhawes09,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are unable to drag and drop on your MacBook Pro as expected. First, make sure you are following the steps in this Apple resource on this:

Drag and drop items on Mac

Next, use safe mode to start up your Mac as it does the following things:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Log in to your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode

Cheers!

Oct 17, 2020 12:16 PM in response to Nmhawes09

With newer Macs I have the same problem. I just cannot get used to the new Haptic feedback trackpad behavior. It takes lots of practice to make drag & drop work with this setting enabled. Try disabling the "Haptic Feedback" option within the Trackpad settings within the System Preferences. It should be the bottom most option on the first tab of Trackpad settings.

Drag and Drop difficulties

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.