Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Document folder disappeared from hard drive, only on iCloud

Hi,

I use to have my documents accessible in my Favorite folder. Now I cannot see it neither on Macintosh HD, it's just available on the iCloud folder.

I'm worried that my local backup is gone. Plus the computer seem quite slow having to access the iCloud every time.

Is this normal ?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 1:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 2:56 AM

This is normal, if you enabled iCloud Drive and Desktop & Documents.

The Documents and Desktop folders will be moved to iCloud Drive and only be shown in the iCloud section of the Finder sidebar. But they are still mirrored locally and backed up by Time Machine, unless you enable "Optimise Mac Storage" in the System Preferences for iCloud.

But if you are using "Optimise Mac Storage", you need to make a local copy of these folders ln an external volume to have a backup copy.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2020 2:56 AM in response to sebnlde

This is normal, if you enabled iCloud Drive and Desktop & Documents.

The Documents and Desktop folders will be moved to iCloud Drive and only be shown in the iCloud section of the Finder sidebar. But they are still mirrored locally and backed up by Time Machine, unless you enable "Optimise Mac Storage" in the System Preferences for iCloud.

But if you are using "Optimise Mac Storage", you need to make a local copy of these folders ln an external volume to have a backup copy.

Document folder disappeared from hard drive, only on iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.