Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you customize Finder details for files? eg, 'Track Number' instead of 'date modified'

Is there a way to customize the Finder details when sorting files?

In Windows, I can sort my song files in order of track number by choosing which fields are displayed in explorer.

On Mac OS, is there a way to select which fields are default in Finder so I could include track number & bitrate?

running high sierra 10.13.6

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 5:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 6:21 AM

If the current folder is the Music folder in your home directory, then Finder knows about Track Number, and in its List view, you can right-click on the Modification date heading, and from the pop-up menu, select Track Number instead. Then you can alternatively click on the Track Number heading to sort ascending or descending by that field.

Any other folder selected in Finder List view than the Music folder does not present Track Number as a pop-up menu choice.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2020 6:21 AM in response to Neild313

If the current folder is the Music folder in your home directory, then Finder knows about Track Number, and in its List view, you can right-click on the Modification date heading, and from the pop-up menu, select Track Number instead. Then you can alternatively click on the Track Number heading to sort ascending or descending by that field.

Any other folder selected in Finder List view than the Music folder does not present Track Number as a pop-up menu choice.

Can you customize Finder details for files? eg, 'Track Number' instead of 'date modified'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.