Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine not working with Apple Mail

Time Machine application no longer seems to work for Apple Mail. When I "Enter Time Machine" while in Apple Mail, the screen that opens up is frozen, and there is no ability to scroll back to previous dates.

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 8:54 AM

28 replies

Oct 15, 2020 9:20 AM in response to cms789

If you're running Catalina the email files should be in a folder titled A7 which is located in your Users/Home/Library/Application Support/Mail folder:

Go there in Time Machine and restore the entire A7 folder to the Desktop. Then you can go thru the various mailbox folders to find via QuickLook the emails you're interested in.

Oct 13, 2020 11:45 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks. It used to work with Mail, just as it still does for Documents. Something broke along the way. After a few escalations within Apple Support, I am finally told it is a known/reported problem; but without any projected fix. While I take some comfort that old emails are saved within the V7 folder backups to which you refer, it is a pretty labor intensive search to hunt and peck through all the numerically designated emlx files to find anything in particular.

Oct 15, 2020 4:25 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi Mr Toad, can you please help me find the Mail folder so I can retrieve a deleted email? I updated to Catalina.

If I go PowerbookHD/Users/Home there is no Mail folder shown.

If I go PowerbookHD/Library there is no Mail folder either.

I have looked following these paths in Time Machine but there it is the same. No Mail folder found.

I searched using the Search function for V7. But no folder was found.

What am I missing here?

Oct 18, 2020 4:57 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I went through all the messages but could not find the ones I was looking for on the IMac's drive.

I now would like to look through the V7 folder in a backup on an external hard drive, created with Time Machine. But here again the Library folder is not shown in my CBL Home folder. And when I do cms+shift+G it does not affect the CBL Home folder on the backup but bounces back to the

Oct 19, 2020 4:06 AM in response to cms789

cms789 wrote:
did that but the time line just shows NOW and doesn't not allow to go back in time.

Can you go to ANY folder in Finder then enter Time Machine and go back? It sounds like your Time Machine has not been backing up because I can find V7 folder in my ~/Library from back in March

Oct 19, 2020 4:30 AM in response to LD150

When I connect my Ext drive with the backups and enter Time Machine I can go back in time to older backups.

The problem I have retrieving old emails was that in my User Home folder the Library folder was not being shown.

Luis showed me to use cmd+shift+G to make the Library folder visible on my iMac.

But this command does not work with the User Home folder on the ext drive using Time Machine, it seems?

Oct 19, 2020 7:13 AM in response to cms789

Glad you were able to navigate the tortuous path to try to find an e-mail within Time Machine backups; good luck searching for the particular mail piece you are looking for. But wouldn't it be nice if Apple would restore the Time Machine functionality that once allowed a simple scroll through tiered back-up dates to search history. They have confirmed to me that this is a known/reported problem, but offer no assurance that they care to fix it.

Time Machine not working with Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.