Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

switch from iphoto to photo

Hello,

I have an old iMac 27'-mid 2010 ( not proposed in the device choice ...) that I have boosted with 12G RAM .

It's running with the OS 10.9.5 .

I need to switch to High Sierra to be able to use some app.

But I'm afraid to loose the file structure of my Iphotos librairies ( events and albums).

How to transfert and keep the existing file structure to photo ???

Thanks in advance for your advices!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 2:28 PM

If you didn’t update to OS X 10.10.3 or later, the Photos app is installed automatically when you update to macOS High Sierra.

Photos includes many features that aren’t available with iPhoto. For example, you can see all your photos on all your devices with iCloud Photo Library and have your photos organized the same way on your Mac and your iOS devices.

When you first open Photos on your Mac, your photo library is upgraded. The upgraded library is compatible with both Photos and iPhoto (if installed), but any changes you make in Photos won’t appear in iPhoto, and vice versa. 

If you previously had iPhoto on your Mac, it’s still on your Mac. You can open it from Launchpad or from the Applications folder in the Finder. However, it’s strongly recommended that you use Photos instead of iPhoto.

For more information about the Photos app, see Photos Help.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2020 2:28 PM in response to Grabbarna

If you didn’t update to OS X 10.10.3 or later, the Photos app is installed automatically when you update to macOS High Sierra.

Photos includes many features that aren’t available with iPhoto. For example, you can see all your photos on all your devices with iCloud Photo Library and have your photos organized the same way on your Mac and your iOS devices.

When you first open Photos on your Mac, your photo library is upgraded. The upgraded library is compatible with both Photos and iPhoto (if installed), but any changes you make in Photos won’t appear in iPhoto, and vice versa. 

If you previously had iPhoto on your Mac, it’s still on your Mac. You can open it from Launchpad or from the Applications folder in the Finder. However, it’s strongly recommended that you use Photos instead of iPhoto.

For more information about the Photos app, see Photos Help.

switch from iphoto to photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.