Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder is not responding Catalina

How do we keep FINDER active and not going to NOT RESPONDINS

I-MAC WITH CATALINA AND CHROME BROWSER.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 4:06 PM

7 replies

Oct 23, 2020 10:39 AM in response to sjdodd

Actually, shutting down or rebooting 2 - 3 times per week is beneficial to system and application performance. It cleans out temporary system, cache and swap files, some which can become damaged and really mess up performance, and generally keep the machine lean and mean.

A safe boot does even more but is only really needed when you're experiencing specific and very noticeable performance problems. Boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Oct 13, 2020 9:23 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks for the tip John,

I followed an older response that hit a nerve. They suggested maybe too many external “devices “ may be cluttering the system. I have external hard drives - each from 2-4 Terabytes.

I unplugged them except for the 6-T drive I’m trying to use to clean off my Desktop with 900+ Folders!

I stopped for dinner & when I came back, the FINDER acted like it just back from

the Principal’s Office .

Bottom line is that in two hours I was able to transfer double what it took me 2

days to clear.

But thanks for the tip. I have it taped to

the wall - just in case! 🤗

Dick Corbet Photography

Oct 23, 2020 9:20 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you for this post and response. I found recently that something was "installed" on my iMac that was diverting my gmail (and apparently Safari) to a yahoo search. Can't recall what it was and it's not in front of me. But it meant that suddenly my gmail was not loading. Just that darn spinning beach ball. I found some information on it and directions to remove it and my gmail now loads.

However, very frequently my apps will get a Not Responding message. Whether I am copying a simple file from one location to another, or trying to use Lightroom Bridge., Photoshop, etc.

I am at my wits end and have had to just shut down the iMac which I hate to do. I'll follow your guidance and report back.

Oct 23, 2020 12:23 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you so much for a quick reply. I should have noted that the required shut down is only possible by holding down the power button. Often, when I try to end any of these processes running, nothing happens. I am left having to simply power down by shutting off.

I will report back shortly - oh, and what was installed was "landslide" - which I have no idea where it came from. It does appear to be gone and I am left wondering if my remaining problems have anything to do with this.

More to follow.

Oct 26, 2020 5:09 AM in response to sjdodd

Good morning - well, it appears that my problems have been resolved! I started up in Safe Mode (I think) after deleting all signs of landslide. I am once again able to move files, search via Finder, and no annoying beach ball.

Thank you so much for your help in this area! I know where to come next time I need help!

Finder is not responding Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.