Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe Flash Player Replacement

What replaces the Adobe Flash function in Safari for Mac? I have it on my iMac and my MacBook.

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 8:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 8:31 PM

As Adobe explains in: Adobe Flash Player EOL General Information Page...

"Open standards such as HTML5, WebGL, and WebAssembly have continually matured over the years and serve as viable alternatives for Flash content. Also, the major browser vendors are integrating these open standards into their browsers and deprecating most other plug-ins (like Adobe Flash Player).By announcing our business decision in 2017, with three years’ advance notice, we believed that would allow sufficient time for developers, designers, businesses, and other parties to migrate existing Flash content as needed to new, open standards."

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2020 8:31 PM in response to gamorris

As Adobe explains in: Adobe Flash Player EOL General Information Page...

"Open standards such as HTML5, WebGL, and WebAssembly have continually matured over the years and serve as viable alternatives for Flash content. Also, the major browser vendors are integrating these open standards into their browsers and deprecating most other plug-ins (like Adobe Flash Player).By announcing our business decision in 2017, with three years’ advance notice, we believed that would allow sufficient time for developers, designers, businesses, and other parties to migrate existing Flash content as needed to new, open standards."

Oct 13, 2020 8:54 PM in response to gamorris

Correct, but the "seamless transition" depends upon the providers of content. For example, just recently Comcast/XFinity required Flash to view their programming. I was reticent about updating Safari for that reason, but found out that Comcast had made the transition, and Flash is no longer required for that service. I deleted Flash accordingly.

Adobe Flash Player Replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.