Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music - previously imported tracks

If I had lots of tracks imported from CD before joining Apple Music I assume these were all uploaded to iCloud as part of the subscription?

what if I want to get rid of the Mac that originally stored the tracks before I joined, I assume I can safely format/wipe the machine and I will not lose the files as they are now in the Apple Music cloud and I can download as required to my new Mac? It seems counter intuitive manually copying the files from the old Mac to the new and consuming precious storage capacity. I guess I could back them up to an external drive or upload them to my Icloud account (maybe the latter is no different or safer to the Apple Music subscription)

Thanks!

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 8:15 AM

Hi,

You should keep a backup up of your ripped CDs in any event. Whilst it is true that you can redownload tracks, Apple Music is not a backup service.

Back up and restore your iTunes library on your PC – Apple Support

Jim

Similar questions

1 reply

Apple Music - previously imported tracks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.