Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to reset iPad due to Unknown Password (death of a friend)

A friend of mines recently died.The family gave me her old I pad. At the time , I didn't think about passwords and such. I would like to used this for my grandkids visit. According to the web, I can go to setting. How can I go to setting if I cant get in because of unknown password. Should I take it to Best Buy for a reset?

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 3:36 PM

Unfortunately, you’ll not be able to reset the iPad without the AppleID and associated password that were used to activate the device.

If your friends family do not have these credentials, the iPad is now useless. Apple will not assist unless they you are able to produce the original sales invoice that clearly shows the serial number of the iPad. Third-party retailers will not be able to assist you.

Here are the Apple support pages that outline the Activation Lock - and the only mechanisms by which it can be turned off:

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Turn off Activation Lock – Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2020 3:36 PM in response to Newday2020

Unfortunately, you’ll not be able to reset the iPad without the AppleID and associated password that were used to activate the device.

If your friends family do not have these credentials, the iPad is now useless. Apple will not assist unless they you are able to produce the original sales invoice that clearly shows the serial number of the iPad. Third-party retailers will not be able to assist you.

Here are the Apple support pages that outline the Activation Lock - and the only mechanisms by which it can be turned off:

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Turn off Activation Lock – Apple Support

Unable to reset iPad due to Unknown Password (death of a friend)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.