Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad password how to fix and complain

So I went on vacation with my family and my mother have an Ipad air 2, which she left at home, but when she got home she noticed that it had ran an update or something and had then added a password to it. Normally she had a 4 digit password with the 4 dots that she used to unlock it with. But now it is asking for another one and it is just a textbox.

Me and my brother usually help her with it, but none of us have any clue what the password is suppose to be or where it comes from, besides maybe from an OS update?

She took it to a computer shop which wanted money to restore it. But since she planned and already have bought a new one, she gave it to me.

And have tried to restore it or do a factory reset on it using Itunes, but that just get stuck so that just perfect.

Because even though it is not technically my ipad as she got a new one, it is beyond me and furious to say the least, how on Earth something like this is possible in the first place? Luckily she only uses it for emails and other stuff on the internet, so she doesn't have any local things on it that is important. But I can only imagine if she had.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 1:36 PM

Hello MobsterMobster, I've not heard of an Apple update changing the passcode on the device. Strange! Anyway take a look at this Apple Support page on reseting your device. You'll need the use of iTune on a Mac or PC.

If you forgot your iPad passcode - Apple Support

5 replies

Apr 21, 2022 2:01 PM in response to Earthie

Thanks for your answer.

We gotten the password wrong lots of times there is 1 hour wait time each time now.

I got it connected to Itunes on my PC and it did download the update etc. it said it would, but then it just write "Preparing Ipad for recovery" or what it say and then either nothing happens or the ipad reboot and jump straight back to asking for a password.

Its the same issue this person have from what I can see:

"Enter Passcode: iPad requires your passc… - Apple Community

But I mean what the ****!! You can't suddenly add a password to peoples devices and it cost like 100$ to get it fixed and then they delete everything, what if you don't have a backup and are not interested in paying 100$ randomly whenever Apple decide its time to add a password to your devices?

Ipad password how to fix and complain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.