Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 charging

It was announced that the iPhone 12 will ship with a USB-C to lightning connector but with no charging plug. Obviously Apple think this decision is environmentally better although I think this is more to reduce their costs. I don’t have any USB-C chargers so I will need to buy a new one and throw my old one away. Not sure how this fits with being environmental. What I can’t see anywhere is can you use a USB-A to lightning cable to charge an iPhone 12 ? I understand this will be limited to 5W charge rate as currently.

iPhone

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 4:07 PM

See the compatibility section of Apple 5W USB Power Adapter - Apple

The 5W power adapter (which uses a USB to Lightning cable) is compatible with the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro models.

3 replies

Oct 14, 2020 8:26 PM in response to RunDMCuk

Like Michael, I haven't used a wired charger since iPhone X was released and in between, I've owned iPhone XS Max and iPhone 11 Pro Max. I've only used wireless charging and for not much money, you may find a good wireless charger is far more valuable to you in terms of flexibility and simplicity.

To answer your question, if you have an older iPhone charging brick which is USB A to lightning, yes, you can use that with your new phone.

iPhone 12 charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.