Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging options for iPhone 12 Pro

I just purchased an iphone 12 pro. I was warned about burning out the battery if i didnt use the usb c cable and wall adapter. Can I use an existing lightning cable from my other Apple devices?

Also, can I use a usb c to usb a adapter?

can I use the usb a to lightning cable in my truck for car play without hurting the battery?

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 4:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2021 7:01 PM

Who warned you that your battery would get burned out if you didn't use the USB C cable? Thats not true.

You can use all the old lightning cables & chargers from your previous iPhones/iPads without harming the battery.

Ideally they would be the original cable/chargers provided (Apple branded), or a reputable brand (such as Anker) rather than just some cheapo crap from a gas station.

I don't see why using an adapter would be a problem either. Again, from a reputable brand.

I've plugged my iPhones into my vehicle for CarPlay over the last 3 years using a USB A to lightning cable from Anker.

My batteries have always still been 100% health when I turn them in after a year of use.

IMO, the main thing you should avoid doing is letting your charge fall below ~20% or so. Charge your phone over night all night and top off as necessary during the day.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2021 7:01 PM in response to Sid-18

Who warned you that your battery would get burned out if you didn't use the USB C cable? Thats not true.

You can use all the old lightning cables & chargers from your previous iPhones/iPads without harming the battery.

Ideally they would be the original cable/chargers provided (Apple branded), or a reputable brand (such as Anker) rather than just some cheapo crap from a gas station.

I don't see why using an adapter would be a problem either. Again, from a reputable brand.

I've plugged my iPhones into my vehicle for CarPlay over the last 3 years using a USB A to lightning cable from Anker.

My batteries have always still been 100% health when I turn them in after a year of use.

IMO, the main thing you should avoid doing is letting your charge fall below ~20% or so. Charge your phone over night all night and top off as necessary during the day.

Apr 15, 2021 7:26 PM in response to Sid-18

Sid-18 Said:

"Charging options for iPhone 12 Pro I just purchased an iphone 12 pro. I was warned about burning out the battery if i didnt use the usb c cable and wall adapter. Can I use an existing lightning cable from my other Apple devices? Also, can I use a usb c to usb a adapter? can I use the usb a to lightning cable in my truck for car play without hurting the battery?"

-------

Using Apple Brand:

For reliability and trustworthiness, I always go brand-for-brand (Apple-for-Apple). But a third-party might do just fine. I would research the model, and make sure there are no issues with using the cable with your particular Apple device.

Charging options for iPhone 12 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.