Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

selecting a new pdf reader

Sometime years ago I answered a question that made Adobe my default pdf reader. I don't know how to change that selection. Will someone please inform me how to change that.

In fact, I have always failed when a question is asked "what application do you want to open that with?" I have never figured out this part of my laptop. Or what extensions mean what, or what they do, or where to go to find this information.

I would appreciate a little education on this, starting with the document reader because I'm pretty sure I need to delete Adobe.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 4:40 PM

If you want the latest PDF support in any PDF reader, then that will only be found in the current, free Adobe Acrobat Reader DC version. If you don't keep that product current with the new operating system, then you may have issues with it.

If however, you want to make Apple's Preview PDF viewer the default opening application when you click a PDF, then in the Finder, single-click on any PDF file, and press option+command+i. This will open a Show Inspector panel (same as Get Info), and further down on that panel, you will see an Open With section that probably shows Adobe Acrobat Reader in the selector. Click on that selector, locate Preview, and then click on the Change All… button and click through its prompts. When you are done, Apple's Preview, and not Adobe's Acrobat Reader DC will be the default opening application for PDF, when you double-click a PDF file icon in the Finder.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2020 4:40 PM in response to Macbook_novice_

If you want the latest PDF support in any PDF reader, then that will only be found in the current, free Adobe Acrobat Reader DC version. If you don't keep that product current with the new operating system, then you may have issues with it.

If however, you want to make Apple's Preview PDF viewer the default opening application when you click a PDF, then in the Finder, single-click on any PDF file, and press option+command+i. This will open a Show Inspector panel (same as Get Info), and further down on that panel, you will see an Open With section that probably shows Adobe Acrobat Reader in the selector. Click on that selector, locate Preview, and then click on the Change All… button and click through its prompts. When you are done, Apple's Preview, and not Adobe's Acrobat Reader DC will be the default opening application for PDF, when you double-click a PDF file icon in the Finder.

selecting a new pdf reader

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.