Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe download ?

Hi,

I realize this is an Apple forum, but was startled/amazed that this AM Adobe Acrobat Reader DC was gone and replaced with Adobe Acrobat Reader !!

I never downloaded it, it just did so by itself.

Moreover, it changed its name in a number of scripts and shortcuts (the new name having dropped the DC.

I assume that Adobe Acrobat Reader DC is now Adobe Acrobat Reader:

I am amazed that the Apple OS allows this to happen without user approval! If anyone knows where/how/or if this auto update can be undone, I would certainly appreciate it.

This happened on both a Big Sur Mac and a Monterey Mac.

Thanks for your help.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 4:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 5:45 PM

APPLEAL wrote:

So, assuming Adobe Acrobat Reader (the free version) is available in the App Store and I originally dloaded it from Adobe's website, and I trash Adobe from my Applications folder, then I MIGHT get the option to dload updated versions when I want rather than Adobe auto dloading it ?

Yes, hypothetically speaking. However, Adobe Acrobat is not in the Mac App Store.

Plus, if the version of Adobe Acrobat that you originally downloaded was able to update itself automatically, then trashing it from the Applications folder is not the correct way to uninstall it. Hypothetically speaking, it could simply reinstall itself. It probably wouldn't do that. Instead, the most likely result would be that the Adobe Acrobat updater tries to update itself, maybe crashes, maybe spits out a few megabytes of error message, but ultimately fails, repeated for all eternity.

Still seems strange, as I have no applications that update automatically...they always ask for my approval and password.

That does seem strange, as virtually every app automatically updates itself these days.

Personally, I would think that Apple would require any app to give the user the option of automatic vs non automatic loads.

They do, but Apple only has control over the Mac App Store. If you download apps from other sources, then you give those developers virtually full control over your computer. (In recent years, Apple has limited that control. 3rd party apps can no longer modify the operating system or directly access your Documents, Desktop, or Downloads folder without your permission.)

But when it comes to the app itself, that belongs to the developer, not you. If the developer wants to update it and you refuse, they could prevent you from running it. That is not under the control of Apple.

I have sent my thoughts to their feedback section.

Good luck!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2022 5:45 PM in response to APPLEAL

APPLEAL wrote:

So, assuming Adobe Acrobat Reader (the free version) is available in the App Store and I originally dloaded it from Adobe's website, and I trash Adobe from my Applications folder, then I MIGHT get the option to dload updated versions when I want rather than Adobe auto dloading it ?

Yes, hypothetically speaking. However, Adobe Acrobat is not in the Mac App Store.

Plus, if the version of Adobe Acrobat that you originally downloaded was able to update itself automatically, then trashing it from the Applications folder is not the correct way to uninstall it. Hypothetically speaking, it could simply reinstall itself. It probably wouldn't do that. Instead, the most likely result would be that the Adobe Acrobat updater tries to update itself, maybe crashes, maybe spits out a few megabytes of error message, but ultimately fails, repeated for all eternity.

Still seems strange, as I have no applications that update automatically...they always ask for my approval and password.

That does seem strange, as virtually every app automatically updates itself these days.

Personally, I would think that Apple would require any app to give the user the option of automatic vs non automatic loads.

They do, but Apple only has control over the Mac App Store. If you download apps from other sources, then you give those developers virtually full control over your computer. (In recent years, Apple has limited that control. 3rd party apps can no longer modify the operating system or directly access your Documents, Desktop, or Downloads folder without your permission.)

But when it comes to the app itself, that belongs to the developer, not you. If the developer wants to update it and you refuse, they could prevent you from running it. That is not under the control of Apple.

Good luck!

Oct 14, 2022 5:08 PM in response to APPLEAL

APPLEAL wrote:

I don't want to downgrade, but I would like to update myself, not have an app automatically do it. Is there a preference to allow me to do that? I am using the free version AND NEVER had it happen before.

You will have to contact Adobe about that. Apple does not control 3rd party software updates. Even in the Mac App Store, Apps can change their names, start charging you a subscription fee, eliminate features, whatever they want, as long as it is complies with Apple Developer agreements and Apple's App Review.

If you install software from outside of the Mac App Store, then App Review does not apply and apps can automatically update themselves.

Oct 14, 2022 5:25 PM in response to etresoft

Thanks

Thanks for your help

Adobe download ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.